Ready For Lake Trips Now...finally Got Some Kayaks

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Jay & Valerie, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Wife's been wanting kayaks for year so we finally took the plunge. Should make those lake trips much more fun.

Finding them during this pandemic was a challenge...seemed like stores had a hard time keeping them in stock.

Attached Files:

2. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

A delta.kayak, great choice, I have a Delta 14, love it, very responsive, also like the forward small storage compartment..Enjoy...

3. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

I would give the Delta great consideration if I were looking to buy now. It’s a great all around kayak being relatively fast, maneuverable, and light to carry. Presently we have 17ft NDK, 16ft Capella, and 10ft Pamlico depending on where we are paddling.

4. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I haven't had it out yet so I am guessing its going to be a nice ride. I want to get a whitewater kayak as well since I'm an adrenaline junkie as well but that will come in time.

5. We just bought 2 Kayaks too. Planned on buying them a year ago and couldn't find anything we could afford except for some that were junk.

6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I want a pair. I had then, but storing them is a problem, There is only so much garage space, and keeping them outside seems like a thief magnet or the sun will just bake them ... warping and fading. Then there is keeping them at the camp site.

Has anyone used the folding kayaks? I’m not impressed with the price....a sheet of Coroplas costs $20 ... it seems they are a little proud of their product...but that aside, folding solves a lot of the problems.

folding stores in a closet or shelf, and stuffs under the camper discreetly.

Bikes, kayaks, grills, toilet, generator, side tents, galley cover/shelter...we’re going to need bigger truck ....

7. SethB

SethB Ranger

Our garage storage situation improved dramatically when we put racks on our 560! We installed the racks for an 8’ ARB awning, there’s a thread here somewhere, but we got a 2nd benefit:
    The canoe is no longer out in the weather with leaves blowing in, it stores in the garage on top of the trailer with a few inches to spare.

This is new-ish for us, I haven’t quite figured out whether the canoe will travel on the trailer or the car, we’re now set up for either. Or both!

8. M&L

M&L Ranger

Sweeney,

I don't have any experience with them (yet), but the guy that designed the Ocean Kayaks (which I've had and greatly enjoyed) has designed a folding sit-on-top / stand-up paddle board combo that looks VERY interesting. They're supposed to start shipping at any time. And they're only $400 a piece!

Link:
    Origami Paddler

Sweeney likes this.
  9. Hi Everybody! Kayaks are the Prairie Vikings thing! I grew up paddling ion Lake Winnipeg (the 10th largest fresh water lake in the world), and have been an avid paddler and sailor for over 35 years. We almost annually paddle 120 nautical miles from Loreto Mexico BCS, to La Paz BCS, camping on hidden and inaccessible beaches all along the way. I love it, and simply cannot get enough.
    I own what my wife calls a "quiver" of kayaks. We only have touring boats (Sea Kayaks), but the storage issues are the same for most of us, no matter what type you have. I used to store my kayaks on an "AquaSling" AquaSlings . I have one that can hang 3 kayaks on one wall. The downside is that wall is now useless for other storage like shelving etc. So now I use 3 Harken Hoisters https://www.hoister.com/productcategory.aspx?taxid=645 for our 16' and 18' single kayaks, and our 22' Tandem.
    Our tandem weighs 90lbs so the 6:1 mechanical advantage provided is great, and makes lifting and lowering a cinch. The other boats are lighter (around 50lbs), so it's easy for my wife to get them down on her own. Believe it or not we had even more boats, but were forced to sell our 14 footers because we moved into a smaller home and space is now at a premium. Hey, for some people it's tools, or bicycles, or "insert thing here", but for me it's kayaks. The very best way to get on the water.
    Anyway, our boats now hang almost tight against the ceiling. The garage door opens and closes underneath them. So, if you have 2-3 feet above your garage door, this option might be for you. It's very slick. Plus, now I have room for shelves along one wall, that I never had before.
    I also have a Trak Folding skin and frame kayak, which is an incredible boat. and folds into a backpack a little smaller than golf bag. Great for air travel, vehicles with no roof racks, and people who just have little or no storage space. 2 can easily be stored in a hall closet.
    If you have any kayak related questions, anything at all, from tying down your kayak on your vehicle to fishing out of your kayak, to what equipment you might need, I am your guy, please don't hesitate to ask!
    Safe paddling everyone!!

Kevin, Laura R and Ken & Peggy like this.
  10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

not a huge fan of sit on kayaks....but keep us posted. This sounds interesting. The folders I’ve looked at are really proud of theirs....this seems quite reasonable....

M&L likes this.