Raining condenstation

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Jean W, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Hi,

Last weekend Uff Da Inn spent two nights near Duluth, Mn. Saturday night received 5 inches of wet, heavy snowfall. In the morning a good steady condensation drip was coming from the fantastic vent fuse cover. Enough to create a 5 inch wet spot on the quilt.

At night used an electric ceramic heater to stay toasty warm. One of the door windows was open about 1/4 inch for ventilation. Inside metal trim, door latches, windows dripping with condensation.

My thought for the vent fuse dripping stream is due to inside condensation low point from the fan.

Possible solutions:
    Stay at a hotel, insulate fantastic vent before heavy snowfall.

What could be used as insultaion?
    TOwel, insulation, ????

What are your ideas for fuse cover dripping condensation and solutions.

Thanks,

Jean

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Jean, What I have done using the heater is:
    Open the two windows and the vent as far as possible and still stay warm.
    This has kept the condensation down to zero. But this is when the temps are in the high 20s.
    Just a thought...
    Steve

4. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Jean,
    We've pretty much eliminated the problem. We keep the side windows open somewhat also, and set the roof vent to 'Out' on the lowest speed and open it just enough to turn it on. The heater will cycle automatically to the heat you set (and will be on more often because the windows and vent are open)so you should stay toasty.

5. Cal429

Cal429 Novice

One relevant question somebody who has a OEM heater can answer: Does the Camp-Inn propane heater heat and recycle inside air, or does it draw in and heat outside air? If the latter, the incoming heated air should be very dry on cold nights, and that would help remove humidity. An electric heater, of course, just heats inside air and does nothing to dehumidify.

My 560 is 3,000 miles away, so I can't check the heater myself to answer the question.

6. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

As far as I know the intake is on the outside. That's why you should keep the windows and the fan vented a crack.

7. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Jim,

The furnace heats and recycle's inside air. The outside vent I believe Evan is referring to is the combustion air intake. It does do some dehumidifying by "cooking" the air in the heat exchanger but as Evan pointed out the best method is still to ventilate the cabin to let the moisture out.

Cary

8. Cal429

Cal429 Novice

I suggested to Cary a method for introducing cold, dry outside air through the heater intake to help alleviate the humidity problem, and Cary provided me with a fuller explanation of how the heater ducting works. Not the simple way I had envisioned, so the design modification I had in mind would not be as simple (and safe) as I had imagined.