Raindrop acrylic window repair

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Wendell Ann Hanks, Mar 11, 2013.

1. To add to the aluminum adventure is the desire to remove the blemishes in the acrylic front windows -- likely the small nicks from gravel.
    I have used both Mothers and Blue Magic with and without a buffer and a Schegal brand #5 "round up" pad. Both worked equally well. Unfortunately, small knicks remain.
    There is one untested alternative.....

Anyone use one of the automotive headlight lens cleaning products on the acrylic windows?

Marty, plant mgr. for Camp-Inn offered treating the windows as headlight lenses. He didn't proscribe a specific brand. While there are numbers of exterior lens cleaners, CONSUMER REPORTS did test several for consideration.

What have you used?
    Thanks,
    Wendell

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Wow Wendell! I think you must have done a lot more off road towing than we have. We have a couple of little dings and scratches on our girl, but nothing on the windows or the pitting you have talked about. What kind of terrain have you been through?

We just picked up some rocktamers for the new new truck to help with the rock chips, but also to keep the water out of the windows. The wider wheel base sprays differently than the car we had.

Good luck! Hope you figure something out!

3. Hello Mick & Sarah - and other readers!

The trailer was purchased recently and is a model 2011 560 Ultra in overall excellent condition -- except for some gravel "bites" on the fender and body fronts. The acrylic windows and stainless fender fronts received some gravel abrasion from previous owners' trips through Alaska. While the front acrylic windows visually are OK, there is evidence of some very small indentations.

The other technical information I offered (above posts) is from wanting to make the entire trailer like new. Picky? Maybe. However, the entire superb factory workmanship is worthy of maintaining.

Thanks for your response.
    Wendell

4. A previous owner trip into Alaska.
    The "work" needed is on isolated gravel abrasion spots on the lower portion of the body just outside the protective "bra" and the lower tips of the fender fronts.

I don't want to convey in any way the trailer has been misused. Other than those two body areas described, the trailer is in immaculate like-new condition.

Apparently, gravel roads can kick up enough to mar the lower parts of the stainless fenders and lower area next to the bra on the trailer front sides. The ROCK TAMERS flaps were also suggested by Camp Inn staff for future driving on gravel roads.

Thanks for the inquiries.
    Wendell

5. Final report on acrylic window cleaning.
    The "Blue Magic" product worked very well. The very slight "pits" from gravel came out from the rotating buffer pad and application of Blue Magic. I think the Mothers' product would also work. I used 600 grit wet paper with soapy water first - just a slight rubbing. The Blue Magic comes in large jars at about $12.00 per.
    Wendell