WANTED Raindrop 560 - Preferably East Coast, But I’ll Travel!

Discussion in 'For Sale / Wanted' started by Tim K., Mar 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Tim K.

Tim K. Newbie

Serious buyer, I’m in NH, but will travel for the right rig!

2. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Model year and asking price?

3. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

What year?

4. squirrl

squirrl Newbie

Hi Tim,

Our Vermont based 2015 560 Ultra #787 is going up for sale in the next few days. The posting will appear soon or send me a private message if you'd like to talk directly.

5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Why are you selling? Don’t think of “upgrading”. You’ll regret it!

Freight Dog likes this.
  6. squirrl

squirrl Newbie

See my sale listing '2015 Raindrop 560 Ultra #787' on the forum for the explanation.

7. Are you still looking?

8. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

These are tough decisions. We made the same with our 2012 Ultra 560. But, from the minute I hooked it up to a white F250 and saw it drive away, I kicked myself. I'm not sure what you are replacing with, but if its made by companies who rely on LCI for everything - seriously....watch out. The trailers made today by just about everyone is an embarrassment to the "Made in the USA" label.

We went to a "high end" camper/trailer, then to a Class A RV. The trailer was brand new, the class A well used. The well used class A was much better. But even it was a steady stream of repairs and heavy duty maintenance.

For the new, what we found out that the quality lasted as long as the ink was moist on the contract. Once it dried and problems started -- the interest in helping us solve problems dropped to zero. The dealers will treat you like royal...until they don't. Then you wait, like everyone else.

Reminds me of going into the army --- the recruiters told us how wonderful it was....training, career advancement, schooling, travel, adventure...then we went into the MEPS (in Chicago) raised our right hand and said "So help me ---" and before I could say His Holy Name, the doors opened up, the drill sergeants flooded the room all screaming. I distinctly remember one saying "...hahahah....and those recruiters...they all lied! THIS is the Army!!" the screaming lasted for 12 weeks, then came a true lesson in hurry up and wait followed by paperwork to fill out.

We didn't make 2 trips before we had warranty claims - and I don't mean loose paneling. Some of the failures were trip-ruining events.

The RV dealer then started in with excuses -- "its a house thats in an 6 hour long earthquake..." Of course my argument is that it should be designed to handle it -- Mobile and Travel are int heir names.... "TRAVEL trailer" --- It SHOULD be designed to withstand the earthquake. Deaf ears.

In the first year of ownership:

1} water Heater failed
    2} refrigerator failed - freezer full of meat...gone
    3} Ceiling where mysterious stains started to appear
    4} 'wood' paneling (actually printed cardboard) falling off the walls
    5} Axles being too weak and bending (backwards from the way they should bend)
    6} Tires worn out after 400 miles (from #5 and again on #7)
    7} Leaf Springs collapsing (2'nd set...These were replaced with #5. The "improved" suspension failed after 400 miles)
    8} Plumbing fittings in the wet bay fell apart
    9} Water Leaks from Shower Drain. The elbow simply cracked.
    10} Water Leaks from under Kitchen Sink...same elbow crack.
    11} Water level indicators --- do they ever work? Failed the first trip.

Not saying...just saying...1 year of ownership. Probably 12 weeks in the shop waiting for parts, and even though the parts were identified....do you think we could take the camper back home and use it while waiting? Nope. The downtime -- was in the peak of camping season.

To add insult, once the trailer was ready we had to pick it up right away. 48 hours as I remember. We close at 5 -- so there goes vacation days to pick up a rig. If I didn't pick it up...then they would charge a storage fee.

A friend of mine worked for a parts distributor who will remain nameless. When I said I was thinking about buying an RV...he just said "Dont do it...just don't. Seriously -- Don't do it."

Sincerely --- I hope you have a great experience with whatever you buy. But at least make sure you know the horror stories are true. Good luck. If you're in central Indiana and have trouble look me up...I'll be glad to help

CampInn on the other hand....hey build SERIOUSLY high quality products and stand behind them. We bought ours and passed by "the nest" coming back from a trip and just stopped by to "say hi..."

I asked "is this normal?" while we were chatting. Before I knew what happened Chris started fixing things. Water seals, door adjustment needed, little bits and bobs....all of course at no charge, and with no appointment. Obviously this was FAR above and beyond and completely unexpected by me. I just wanted to know if something was needed....CI is an awesome company.

Yup...this is the best testimony I can give. You're still welcome at my camp site :D

L57 likes this.
  9. L57

L57 Novice

Amen! Campinn is a great company. I feel the support is always there. Look forward to making that stop and maybe the Campinn/out event in September.

10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

As I said...we sold our 2012, and I'm buying a 2020 ... because of somethign stupid I did. I am curious how many people in CI's history have been as bone headed as I was? Some people have to learn the hard way...guess I'm one of them.

Probably shouldnt' complain aobut it though....I am kick-starting a repair business for RV's --- bad quality is what will keep me employed :D Could be a good year next year :D

For delivery, I'm hoping for October. I can't wait. If it weren't and 8 hour drive we might 'swing by' the CICO. But I don't stay in hotels and I sold my Class A. Would be funny to see all these iddy biddy little campers next to a 38'er. Only think would make it better is if that 38' Fleetwood had a CI in tow :)

I'm just hoping for October Delivery :D

11. squirrl

squirrl Newbie

You won't get an argument from me about Camp-Inn quality and service. We have a good relationship with the company and talk them up every chance we get. As I told Cary when I announced the sale, we'll be back if we discover we've made mistake.

Cheers, Craig

12. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

took me 4 seasons :).

13. campdude

campdude Ranger

lol...sounds like you speak from expirence....are you getting anxious?

14. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Oh yah...my experience was anything but good with our after-campinn experience. (EDIT: Campinn ROCKS!!! My problems has been with other vendors who failed miserably) Cary and the team are amazing, and do everything they can. What I saw with major RV companies shocked me. The horror stories you see are not an exception, and they are often under-stated.

Imagine having your camper's axles collapse, to the point the wheels were dragging the inside of the wheel well, inside of 1 year of ownership. Then, after they replaced "from the frame down with an upgraded suspension" --- then 3 months later, having to replace the springs becuase they collapsed....and these were "upgraded" PM me for horror stories and how to avoid them :D

All that said, am I anxious? No --- Anxiety is an emotion characterized by an unpleasant state. But I am absolutely excited! This is our second CI I know what to expect, which is responsive help if needed, high quality build from the start, and an overall design which is not a constant battle of lap sealant and lubrication...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    campdude and Kevin like this.