Pull Ci Into Garage Using A Winch/come Along?

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Long Truong, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Long Truong

Long Truong Junior Ranger

My tiny garage space only has a couple of inches that make it difficult to back into using my towing vehicle. It has a slight incline in the driveway AND a small lip on the threshold that make it difficult to push/pull the CI into place using a trailer dolly. I'm thinking about install a winch/come along at the back of the garage to assist with getting it in after lining up the trailer with a dolly, but I have no idea how I would secure the trailer to the winch line. Ideas?

2. John Johnson

John Johnson Newbie

Install a rear hitch receiver and attach to that?

3. Long Truong

Is like to avoid buying extra hardware if absolutely necessary. Otherwise I would probably just buy a trailer valet which I could probably power with a hand drill.

Kevin likes this.
  4. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

this is a very timely question, I'm in a similar situation, and have contemplated doing similar stuff myself. Not sure why it wasn't obvious to me, but a powered trailer valet thing seems to be a smart option.

At least for me, its not the hardware. I have an awesome winch on my Scout (tow vehicle) I could use. a very nice 3-ton come-along and other options.

My big issue would be where to attach anything in the garage/house where I could use a snatch block without causing structural damage to the house. In my case, there is just nothing strong enough that I would trust to pull the trailer into the garage with it.

I'm looking forward to see how you (or others here) do. Maybe someone will have an option I haven't thought of.

Kevin likes this.
  5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It’s my understanding you can figure out how to pull it into the garage and not having a strong anchor point is the issue. Is there anyway you can drill into the concrete floor or otherwise break it up enough to put in an eyebolt and re-cement?

Kevin likes this.
  6. campdude

campdude Ranger

Ya'll know the easiest way to over come this garage dilemma is.....just keep it out camping. Problem solved.. .your welcome

Jerry Kemp and Kevin like this.
  7. Long Truong

Alas I gotta work and the kids got to go to school. I'm certainly not insane enough to try to live full time out of a teardrop and homeschool my kids

campdude likes this.
  8. We met a family with 4 young boys doing just that! They were full timing in an overland style trailer. Here is their Instagram handle.

9. Long Truong

Glad it works for them. That'd be a recipe for me turning into an insane person.