Protection for the Under carriage of a 560 Ultra

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by FredK, Apr 5, 2015.

1. FredK

FredK Newbie

Hi everyone: we're very new to Forum and getting ready to place an order for a 560 Ultra.

I've been very impressed with Camp Inn given all that is positive after months of research including this forum. Today, however, I noticed in pictures provided by a proud new owner of lightly used 560, that the plywood undercarriage did not have any more protection that a clear coat.

We live in Kent, Washington, were rain is part of life, and thus we worry about wood rot and water damage generally.

Coincidentally, we live a little ways from the Airstream Dealer (down the street) and it seems their repair shop is very busy with these kinds of issues in their models.

What has the experience been among proud and satisfied Camp Inn models when it comes to water damage? Ought we be concerning about water damaging the integrity of the Ultra Rain Drop as we drive it through more often than not some days?

Thanks

Fred & Hilda

2. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

I suspect there isn't much to worry about, as I believe the floor of the camper is made of marine grade plywood, which is what most parts of the trailer are made of. A bigger issue would be if water got into the cabin and was left for a long time. I'd guess someone would have to be extremely negligent before that would cause a problem.

If you plan on storing your CI outdoors, you might want to think about getting the optional cover. It'll also add a small level of protection from falling debris in a wind storm.

3. FredK

FredK Newbie

Hi Steve: Marine Plywood!! Excellent. Boats etc so that is very reassuring. Thanks for writing, FredK