Propane Tank Recertification

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rmbrowder, Jan 5, 2022.

Tags:
  1. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

I have an aluminum 20 lb tank that needs a five year recert. I’ve tried to find a dealer to do this but have been unsuccessful. Any one having a similar problem?

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Yep. We live in Chicago, which gave us more options for suppliers to call, which was a plus. One of them recertified for free as long as you filled the tank. And that was our 11# CampInn tank...

EDIT: Not sure if that would apply to an aluminum tank or not.

3. SethB

SethB Ranger

You are looking for propane dealers, yes? RV dealers don’t recertify around here…

4. Ken & Peggy

I will say that at the height of the Covid surge (the initial surge) there were no suppliers doing recerts. They were only swapping tanks, and occasionally refilling. At least that was my experience. It's better now.

5. Steve Sanford

Steve Sanford Novice

We went to a propane dealer to recertify our tank.

6. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

Thanks, I’ve contacted the local dealers and they do not recertify tanks. I have home propane service with Amerigas, and even though they advertise recertification, they don’t actually do it. Aluminum tanks run about $250 and seldom show signs of corrosion, which is why they are used in marine and industrial environments. They take a little weight off the CI tongue compared to a similar size bottle. Aluminum also blends with the CI exterior.

7. Ken & Peggy

The place we found to recert our tank is actually just a propane refill site, so I'd suggest you keep calling around. If you're not in a highly populated area it might be worth it to make some longer distance calls. Cheaper than a new tank...

8. campdude

campdude Ranger

Took mine in today to our local Co-Op where we purchase our home propane from. They recertified it for me...more winter maintenance. I am getting anxious to get out west in spring.

9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

When they decertify, is it more than a visual inspection? Curious, I’ve never had to do this myself….

10. campdude

campdude Ranger

Sweeny..I couldn't tell you what they did. I got it back with a label and a full tank, so I think I am good for another 5 years befor replace or recertify..

Sweeney likes this.
  11. Steve Sanford

Steve Sanford Novice

When I had mine done it looked like it was a visual inspection. After he filled it and gave it back he said it would be ok if I sanded the rust spots of and repainted. I will have to paint around the sticker that says it is good for 5 years...

Sweeney likes this.
  12. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

So funny, You are so anxious to get out here in the west and I am so anxious to get down south. I would love to be here to show you around. Such a beautiful part of the country. Every part is beautiful in it's own way. Just to see something new and different is amazing. You don't even know it is there until you see it.

13. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

oops, that was an answer to another post.

Kevin likes this.