Powder Coated Propane Tank

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Doug & Amber, May 9, 2016.

1. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

A bit over the top, but we powder coated our white 11 lbs. propane tank. It matches the CI better than the stock white tank and I think powder coating is a bit tougher than ordinary paint. Since we had about 2 years of planning, it's the little things like this that kept us sane while waiting for our Camp-Inn.

[​IMG]

2. JeremyB

JeremyB Junior Ranger Donating Member

Did you buy another tank and have it done while waiting for the trailer?

3. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Do they make powder coat paint in white with red polka dots? ;-)

Mark & Casandra likes this.
  4. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

I noticed your tank at our Pedernales gathering & commented to Mark how nice it looked. How did you have that done? Do you mind giving an idea what it might cost?

Casandra

5. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

The powder coating of the propane tank was a project we had while our teardrop was being built. It was expensive, but I think it looks cool and finishes the looks of the trailer. The tank was purchased empty at Ace Hardware for about $65 and the powder coat cost $70.

Process:
    1) buy tank
    2) take tank to propane tank testing facility and have them remove valve stem
    3) take tank to your powder coater and choose your color
    4) once painted, take your take back to the propane testing place and have them re-install your valve stem
    5) fill tank with propane
    6) install tank on trailer once you get to Necedah (lol)

I'm sure you can get lots of choices of colors and patterns. We just wanted finish to match the trailer. The cheaper option would be to sand and spray paint the tank, but since powder coat is more durable that spray paint, in may not last.

TearDragger likes this.
  6. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

Wish I had seen this. I just painted mine with 4 coats of silver and two coats of clear. We'll see how long it lasts!