Portable Double Burner Stove

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Joe Fleming, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Joe Fleming

Joe Fleming Newbie

I have been canoe camping in Minnesota for the past 40 years and over time we have upgraded to ultralight gear. As I grew older, I designed a stove out of necessity; one that was lighter and much easier to pack than the double burner suitcase style stove that we typically pack in.

About a year ago were were talking stoves with the canoe outfitter we use in the Boundary Waters and she asked me to make a couple of stoves for her outfitting business. Fast forward a year and we decided to offer it to others via an internet store.

We recently attended a paddle sports show, Canoecopia, in Madison, WI. Much to my surprise, there was a great interest in the stove from teardrop campers and several teardrop trailer manufacturers and who were attending the show!

I wanted to share the link to our website and see if I can get some feedback from anyone. We are a small two-person company just getting started so any feedback would be appreciated.

Voyageurs Outdoor Gear

Thanks,
    Joe

ps - if this post is not appropriate, please let me know and I'll delete it.

Biggie likes this.
  2. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

Most folks purchase their 550 or 560 with the propane stove built in. I chose to delete the propane stove for a variety of reasons however I still have a good portable stove that I fuel with refillable 1 pound propane bottles. I could be wrong in my assessment but I think that most folks in the teardrops aren't looking for ultralight gear. We don't have a huge amount of space but certainly more than any backpacker or most car campers would carry along. For those of us who have moved up it nice to enjoy those luxuries (good stove, big cooler, nice bedding, plates, real silverware, good pots and pans, spices, lights). Ben H

3. Joe Fleming

Joe Fleming Newbie

Thank Ben. This is consistent with the comments I heard. The reduction in weight was not seen as the benefit but rather the space savings. Those interested, commented that with the thin packed profile of 3/8" they would be able to slip it into a small space such as behind their cooler or another small space. They also were looking for a stove that they could set up away from their trailer. This seemed to fit the bill for some.

The teardrop manufacturers that stopped by were looking to see if they could replaced the built in stove with this thinner profile, all in an effort to save space.

Thanks again for your comments and perspectives, Joe
    IMG_2447 (1).jpg IMG_9866.jpg

Biggie likes this.
  4. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

The other thing that might be nice, and make it more attractive for teardropper's would be if you could make it usable with a quick connect fitting to plug into the TD's bulk gas supply rather than having to purchase relatively expensive small replacement gas canisters. That would also make it even possibly usable in the TD's galley space for the stove, which would probably be too awkward with the gas canisters hanging underneath.

Tour 931 likes this.
  5. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Joe, FYI the Camp-Inn Forum welcomes direct input from vendors as long as it can be beneficial to our members. So your post is fine. :)

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  6. Joe Fleming

Joe Fleming Newbie

Is the 'quick connect fitting' one that connects directly to a 20 lb propane tank?

If so, we can connect the stove to a 20 lb propane tank fitting with a bulk tank adapter hose such as these:
    Camp Chef
    Mr Heater
    Stansport

Or, is it more like this:
    Mr Heater Quick Connect

Thanks for your help. Joe

7. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

It is like the Mr. Heater Quick Connect.

8. Jim Carter

At least that is what is on the outside of the camper. The supplied hose has the quick connect on one end and the same as a one pound tank on the other.

9. Joe Fleming

Joe Fleming Newbie

Thank you! Looks like this is easily accomplished with available adapter hoses from Mr Heater and others.

I appreciate your help.

10. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

Dear Joe:

It looks like your product is well designed and thoughtful. My inclination is that some teardrop owners might appreciate it, if their units don't have stoves. Generally my reaction is that it would not be as desirable for a Campinn owner since our stove is so well designed and fits so well as is.

Just my two cents.

Lorie

11. Jim Carter

I agree that the stove that comes with the Camp Inn is a good one and does an excellent job. On the other hand, when I am cooking I usually need more than 2 burners so this stove could make a good, light weight supplement to run off of the side lp port.
    Jim

lorieandkeith likes this.
  12. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

I guess those were my thoughts too, or if someone who had ordered their TD without a stove, but then they probably wouldn't have it plumbed for LP either, so it's probably a mute point as far as plugging into the quick connect. Thanks Jim for answering the question on connection type, I was away from the forum for a couple days. :)