Popcorn for camping

Discussion in 'Camp Cooking & Dutch Ovens' started by Biggie, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Biggie

Biggie Novice

Just having bought our 560, one would think that we would be totally consumed in shining up our new purchase (and to some degree we are). But we love popcorn at our house and I've been thinking of how I'll be making this favorite snack on our camping trips. With our other camping trailers I kind of wimped out and settled on the microwave version, which isn't much like "camping popcorn". I'm looking for a little feedback on ways fellow Camp-Inn owners make this tasty snack while out on their excursions. Any favorite camping popcorn makers or kettles used? How does popcorn pop in cast iron? We would like some versatility for either popping on the Camp-Inn stove or over the campfire. Thank you - Julie

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Jiffy Pop

3. sardineman

sardineman Novice

We have a popcorn popper similar to this. We bought it years ago to use over a fire, but it works great on the CI stove.

4. Biggie

Biggie Novice

Thanks for the ideas! At least for us, if my memory serves me right, Jiffy Pop tended to burn too easily - we never had good luck with that when we tried it camping when our kids were little. I see REI does sell one of the box type metal camping poppers. I have a gift certificate, so that may be the way to go.

5. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Though I personally haven't tried it, I have seen it done in cast iron dutch ovens. I use a cheapo aluminum sauce pan. My reasoning for not using my dutch oven is I use peanut oil to pop my corn, and boy does that put a strong flavor and aroma in the pan. Pop corn is a camping tradition in the Hickox family. If I am tent camping, I have a single burner propane stand stove that I use.

6. Biggie

Biggie Novice

I'm liking "old school popcorn" much better than microwave or popcorn popper versions. This past week I've been trying several different kettles I have to pop corn out on the Camp-Inn stove. The results have been excellent and the stove makes popping unbelievably fast. Thanks for all your input. I'll be a happy camper now! :)

7. David Olson

David Olson Novice

We brought our antique whirly pop with us when we picked our camper up in Oct. and tried it out. It now has a new home in our camper. It does take up some space but you can also pack stuff in the popper for travel. You just can't have too much popcorn.

8. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

We also just make it in a pan on the stove. We usually melt butter and add a little safflower oil. Throw in the corn, put the lid on, and let em pop. Haven't tried it camping yet (I can't eat popcorn, but think we might start making it as a nice snack on our trips this summer. Great snack for hiking and the car ride!

Oh, we have also tried seasoning with some Lowrys too, and that was good!

9. Looking for good popcorn to pop?
    Try tiny but mighty popcorn made in Iowa.http://tinybutmightyfoods.com/store/

Our daughter brought some home after the owner gave her a bag at the Grout Musuem (where she works and they are doing a display for him). I love the history that goes with this, they almost lost all the seed corn with the floods in Iowa a couple years ago.

It has a nice taste without adding any butter or oils to it and on their website they favor the whirly pop.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016