Pelican and Novakool 12v coolers

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by drjenk, Apr 17, 2014.

1. drjenk

drjenk Newbie

We're looking to upgrade our cooler situation. I'm going to buy a larger non-powered one, and a smaller 12v one to fit in the campinn we will eventually order. For the larger one I've obviously been considering the Yeti, but I came across this:
    http://www.pelicancases.com/65Q-MC-p/65q.htm
    I use a regular pelican case for extra storage of camping gear, and it is built like a tank, will outlast me and my kids. So I know they make a solid product, but they're kind of new to the cooler market from what I read. So has anyone had any experience with whether it keeps things as cool as a Yeti? Amazon customers seem to think so. Apparently one downside is the sheer weight of it, but the handles look really high quality and I think my wife and I can hoist it into the truck.

Also for the 12v one, I know the dometic 35 needs some sort of modification to the handles to fit in the space in the galley. Does anyone know if the handles on the Novakool model campinn sells fits without modification? On paper it seems to, I see 22 inches, but not sure if that includes handles.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

We are Yeti fans ourselves, but I found the Pelican brand on Costco's website the other day.

http://www.costco.com/coolers.html

They sell the 35, 65, and 95 quart sizes, and you may even be able to find the two larger sizes, in stock, at Costco warehouses. That would save on shipping. The prices beat out the Yeti's, but I don't know how they compare otherwise.
    Definitely worth a look! I wish we had seen them when we were in the market for a cooler!
    Jamie

3. 1Door

1Door Novice

Only YETI'S complete the job. Or the week for that matter!!

4. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Dave,

The add on handles on both the Dometic and NovaKool cannot be installed to fit in the galley. You end up using the shallow molded in handles that both have. The other option is to make your own strap handles as shown on this forum.

Cary

5. drjenk

drjenk Newbie

I couldn't get past the made in USA and lifetime warranty (vs. 5 years on the Yeti) of the Pelican so I just ordered the 65 qt. I'll post back my experience once we've used it a while.
    Thanks for the info Cary. Since they're pretty much equal in that dept I'll probably go with what everyone seems happy with here, which seems to be the dometic.

Dave

6. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Just to muddy the waters a little, I found another that claims to be better than all the rest called the Glacier.
    Here's a little comparison chart from their web site.
    http://glacier-coolers.com/comparison-chart/

I thought Frank may be especially interested since it had a built in bottle opener as standard equipment :cool:

7. drjenk

drjenk Newbie

That glacier iceberg 45 looks like it's exactly 24" wide, might fit in the galley space.

8. Steve_B

Steve_B Newbie

I'm trying to decide which ac/dc chest type refrigerator/freezer to buy. I'm torn between an ARB 37 liter and the more affordable TruckFridge TF41 which has a similar capacity. Equipt1 sells the Indel-B Travel Box 40 Liter fridge/freezer which is the OEM (Indel-B) of the TruckFridge.

The handles on the TruckFridge (IndelB) are removable which could make storage room for it a little easier. With their handles attached they are each about the same length.

IronMan is another brand name for IndelB fridge/freezers. The IronMan protective insulated cover for the fridge is considerably less expensive than ARB protective covers too.

9. Rick  Sarah

Rick Sarah Novice

Cary,
    I tried doing a search to find the post that described the strap handles that someone made. Do you know what thread it was under?
    Sarah

Cary,
    I just found the post by chance. Will have to try this.
    Sarah