WA State Park Palouse Falls State Park (Washtucna)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by mewton, Sep 15, 2010.

1. mewton

mewton Novice

I was very excited to visit the Palouse Falls but I'm glad I didn't plan on camping there. The campground is primitive and little more than a small parking lot. There are trails along the palouse and snake rivers which may make it worthwhile to visit though and the falls themselves are very cool. I would recommend going out of your way to visit for a picnic and a hike to see the falls but I doubt I'll ever pull in for the night.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

http://www.stateparks.com/palouse_falls.html

Camping Fees : Please note that the following general fee information is not customized for each individual park, so not all fees will apply to all parks (for example, primitive campsite and dump station fees listed apply only to parks that have primitive campsites and dump stations).

Standard campsite, $15.

Utility campsite, $21.

Primitive campsite (accessible by motorized/non-motorized vehicles) and for water trail camping, $10

An additional $3 fee (standard) or $5 fee (utility) may be charged for select premium campsites at some parks.

Maximum eight people per campsite.

Second vehicle: $10 per night is charged for a second vehicle unless it is towed by a recreational vehicle. Extra vehicles must be parked in designated campsite or extra vehicle parking spaces.

More about park hours : Check-in time is 2:30 p.m., and check-out time is 1 p.m.Quiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. Length of stay: you may stay up to ten consecutive days in any one park during the summer; the stay limit is extended to 20 days between Oct. 1 and March 31.

Campsite Information : The park has 10 tent spaces (one ADA), one dump station and two restrooms (both ADA). One tent site is ADA-compliant. Sites have no hook-ups. Maximum site length is 40 feet (may have limited availability). Braziers are available. All campsites are first-come, first-served.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Re: Palouse Falls state park

Looks nice. We'll have to remember that when we make it to Washington.

3. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Nice photos, I will be glad for thisforum when I hit the road.

4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Beautiful photos. We've found that parking a Camp-Inn in a primitive campground automatically makes it much less primitive.(our PETT portable bathroom also helps) :)

5. mewton

mewton Novice

Evan, there are a couple of honeybuckets, there should be potable water and the WA state park website says there are grills but I didn't notice them. So maybe it doesn't fit the "primitive" description I gave it but the campground area is not what would draw you to this site.

6. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Good info Mewton, going there in April and couldn't figure out if camping there would be possible or not due to crowds, so staying at the Lyons Ferry Marina KOA so good to know it might have been the right choice. Pics are great, thanks for sharing.. looking forward to it and hopefully no Kayaks.. heheh...

7. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

If you happen to get to Pullman, the Palouse Falls Brewery is a nice place to stop in and drink great beer.

8. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Kewl, always looking for a good brewery....
    thanks...

9. mewton

mewton Novice

The campground area is small, maybe a dozen sites. We visited on a weekday and there were only 2 or three sites full though. April might be a good time to visit with a lot of volume over the falls. It's central Washington so July and August would be very hot and there is only a little shade in the camping area.

10. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

WA - Palouse Falls State Park

Changed the topic name and added site info to first review.