Outdoor carpet and gear storage bag

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by GinaNBob, Aug 24, 2014.

1. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Hi all,
    I was reading previous posts on gear and saw a gear bag that would lay flat and came in several sizes recommended by another forum reader. Wanted to show my husband and now can't find the post and can't remember the name of the bag. Think it was when someone mentioned how that stored their carpet especially if it got wet. The storage bag keeps all the dirt in and not in the TV.
    Your help is appreciated
    Gina

2. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Found it! Was the Bigfoot bag. Yeah!

3. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

What makes a good outdoor carpet? Where do you buy one?

4. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

It is basically an "RV awning mat" . Just search, or go to any local RV place near you, I'm sure they'll have something. They come in various sizes. I don't remember for certain, but I think mine is a 5x7, fits well by the galley.

They are nice if its muddy, or if by the galley it's all sharp stones/gravel. It's a little nicer than bare ground. I don't always put it down, it depends on the campsite.

5. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

You can also find them in a variety of stores in their outdoor section: Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, Kmart, Walmart, Target, Shopko, and Farm & Fleet, to name a few.

We received a 9'x12' one as a gift. It is very large but can fold in thirds when we don't want to open it all the way. It also accordion folds into a 1'x3' size for storage. I bought a lightweight nylon duffel bag ($5) to store it. We only use it when we will be in a campsite that may be wet/muddy, very dusty, rocky or will be having a high volume of foot traffic.

:cool:

6. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Betsy
    is there a brand name on yours? the convenience of folding it down to 1x3 is really appealing to me. Is it an RV awning mat also?
    thanks
    Gina

7. Pick

Pick Novice

Have purchased but not use yet a mat called CGear it is woven nylon to let dirt and sand flow though but not stay on top. Hose it off to clean. You can check them out on Amazon.

8. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

We have the CGear sand mats and really like them. Last winter we camped all over FL, at times right on the beach. These mats really do work as advertised, letting sand fall through but not come up. We just sweep them off occasionally. We use a 8' x 8' mat in the shelter and a 6' x 6' mat under a small table and chairs out in the campsite, or at the beach.

http://www.cgear-sandfree.com/products/sand-free-mats/sand-free-mat.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  9. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

I don't remember there being a tag on it, but I will look tomorrow when I get home from school. I would think, from the size and style, it is an RV mat.

:cool:

10. RShep

RShep Novice

Amazon.com: Camco Handy Mat with Strap, Perfect for Picnics, Beaches, RV and Outings, Weather-Proof and Mold/Mildew Resistant (Blue/Green - 60" x 78") (42805): Automotive

These mats are woven plastic and available in 3 colors and 2 sizes. Easy to clean and absorb no water except for the border fabric. I searched for mats that fold rather than roll and fit in my tongue box. I have both sizes. Only 4 trips but have endured downpours, chair legs and gravel surfaces w/o damage. Outside extra cooler slides around on it with ease. Shake, fold, stash and go.

IMG_20180709_072314637 (1).jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Jim Carter, Evan and dustinp like this.
  11. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

OK, I'll ask. What canopy are you using?

Ben likes this.
  12. RShep

RShep Novice

Amazon.com: Leader Accessories Easy Set Up Camping SUV Tent/Awning/Canopy/Sun Shelter Tailgate Tent Beach Tent Suitable For SUV Mini Van Campers RVs Waterproof With Adjustable Sunwall (78.7"x59"): Automotive

This is the pictured canopy. I really like the fit but am not excited about the product. The lanyards that secure fiberglass poles to the center of the canopy are flimsy and too short. Had to replace the tent stakes that come with it. They are worthless. I bought some tent stakes that are the same as come with the side tent. BTW I shorten the too high poles using cut out bottles to hold the sections folded to the height I wanted. Time will tell.