Orca 26 Qt Cooler??

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by StewUtah, May 22, 2018.

1. StewUtah

StewUtah Novice

Does anyone know whether an Orca 26 qt cooler will fit in the kitchen area of my 550?

The dimensions are Outside: 23.75" L x 17.5" W x 14.75" D

The steel Coleman (sold by CampInn), is: 24 x 16 x 16.25"

I know it will be close. Width and Depth appears to be the question.
    This Orca is less money than the Yeti, and holds more than the Yeti 35 and the RTIC 20

We are headed down to Moab, Utah for the weekend, and would like to pick it up soon.

Anyone? Cary? :)

Thanks

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Is gambling allowed in this forum? Because I'm going to bet it will.

Evan likes this.
  3. klint74

klint74 Novice Donating Member

On my teardrop the width would interfere with the table storage. The steel Coleman looks nice....but is kind of useless for keeping ice for very long. I have a bigger Orca which I keep in the car and that has kept ice for over 6 days.

Tour 931 likes this.
  4. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Good point.

5. StewUtah

StewUtah Novice

I'm thinking it will fit too. I might get it, and just use it in the Outback if it's too big, then get the RITC for the kitchen. Mine is a 2006, and I dont have the table. does it sit there in the kitchen during transport?

6. klint74

I do think the Orca would work if a table wasen't involved. I actually think I might store the table somewhere else in order to have a better cooler.

7. fishbisquit

fishbisquit Novice

On a side note we started storing our small table that usually goes on top of the cooler, in our tow vehicle. When we are on the road we usually stop to make lunch and it's a lot easier to get into the cooler wihtout moving the table. Also we were always afraid we would set the table down on the side and forget it. We have the coleman steel cooler in the 550 and it looks great back there but it's really not a great cooler as far as ice rentention and the latch is almost useless. Been thinking about replacing it with a less sexy roto molded cooler like a yeti.

8. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We store our non perishable food in our cooler and keep our Dometic Refrigerator/Freezer in our tow vehicle. This seems to work better for us.

9. klint74

I had previously mentioned my concerns about the size of the Orca 26 allowing storage for the Campinn table, guess what, it fits perfectly. The Orca fits where the coleman use to, and the table fits on top just fine. The other table also still fits in front of the cooler, and yes the galley door shuts. We will be heading off grid for 5 days so I will see how the ice retention is.

StewUtah likes this.
  10. NH Wanderlust

NH Wanderlust Junior Ranger Donating Member

So how did it all work out?

11. klint74

After 5 days the Orca still had ice. The Orca was better than the Coleman it replaced, but not as good as the big Orca which I keep in the outback.

12. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

In case someone is looking at orca, looks like for Christmas deals they are doing some bundles, 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS for December 2018...assuming you don’t mind some fun or funky color combos.