One last trip before school starts

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Warren Mary Ellen, Aug 10, 2015.

1. We got up to THe mountains again for a couple of nights. We start back to school tomorrow so longer trips will be out for a while, but short ones around here will still take place especially once it cools down.

This weekend we were at Linville Falls Campground on the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. Our final tent camping trip was here three years ago. Luckily we did not have the rain we had back then. Temperatures were only in the 70s and it was nice at night. We camped Saturday and Sunday so it was really quiet last night.

We love this area, the scenery is great up on the BRP and you are near some neat NC High Country towns like Blowing Rock, Boone, Banner Elk. A lot of good places to eat in the area, and interesting places to explore. We went to Blowing Rock which is a small town that was built as retreat area by the textile mill owners in the Carolinas. The dogs were with us so we mostly just walked around town. Sat on the lawn of the Blowing Rock Brewery and enjoyed some appetizers and good craft beer. If you are going to stuck outside with the dogs while your wife and daughter shop, make one of the dogs a Corgi, they are chic magnets.

Sunday was spent in Boone which is a college town. Appalachian State is there. Anybody who is a Michigan fan knows the name as they were upset by them a few years ago in football. And of course anybody who is a Buckeye, Spartan, Badger remembers too and reminds their Michigan friends about it. It is a typical college town. A lot of good places to eat. We ate at Lost Province and had pizza and flight of beers they brew in house there. Boone is a artsy, hippy kind of place. Winter sports are big here as they get lots of snow.
    At the campground, we constantly had people wanting to look at our 560 Ultra. Saturday evening when we pulled back in, a guy from a nearby site came running up saying I have been waiting all afternoon for you to get back so I could see your camper. Even had one who knew it was Camp Inn.
    Back to work tomorrow, 190 school days until we start to the Grand Canyon, maybe.

2. birder526

birder526 Novice

Remember, there are always sick days! !

3. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

And Teacher Work Days - do you have those SC? Several days during the school year, the teachers have to attend seminars on how to teach (didn't they already go to school for that?) and the parents are left scrambling for child care. Lovely - not! (And don't get me going on that subject. My kids are grown, but the schools are still playing that game and...never mind.)

Anywho, they are often on Fridays and that would maybe make a week-end run to the mountains. It's a thought.

Camp on,

Sue

4. We will get in some weekends close to home. The SC mountains are only an hour away and there are several state parks in that part of the state. They are not very tall but they are nice. We also live near Lake Hartwell which has a couple state parks on it and several Corps campgrounds. There are a couple of other Corps lakes not far from us. They will just be shorter trips. We only get 3 personal days so I have to use those wisely.

5. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

I envy you being so close to the mountains! Glad you were able to get in a nice trip before starting "back to school". I have always homeschooled our 4 children....graduated #3 this spring & now just one to go! I love the flexibility of being able to school year round & take a 3 or 4 day weekend camping trip when we get the opportunity. My 12 year old likes it too....just not so much in July when he is still doing school and his buddies are on summer vacation. lol

Casandra