Ode to Tents...and our future raindrop...

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by starlight, Sep 25, 2011.

1. starlight

starlight Novice

I love camping. Even when things don't go quite as planned. Well, my old Sea Scout friend and I decided to have a girl's weekend tent camping in Idyllwild while Ivan and Darcy visited family in Russia. A couple of notes to self from the weekend...

(1) When your friend checks the tent pre-trip and lets you know that they repaired it with duct tape, visit to see what the rest of it looks like before it's packed.
    (2) When you're setting up the 3-man tent at dusk and she mentions that one set of poles will be 6" shorter than the other two, just make sure to thread the other poles over the shorter one.
    (3) When you notice half of the other poles are no longer connected by elastic, be very careful to push and not pull the poles. Remember that guy-lines are there for a reason.
    (4) When dawn's light reveals the tiny holes in the rainfly and the tent seams, be grateful that it did not rain and that only a few spiders, ants, and gnats visited during the night. Note on ants, next time pick a site more than 1 foot from their favorite tree.
    (5) When your friend lets you know that this is the tent that she shared with her brother in the rain for their first camping trip over twenty five years ago when she was five, give thanks for sharing the experience of a lifetime with a dear friend. And that she chose that tent.
    (6) When you settle down that last night with the mini-lamp dangling from the loop 3 feet overhead and you both know that the zipper on the door is finally failing, give thanks that you both got to give the tent a proper send off (and give again that it wasn't raining).

Her faithful tent is officially retiring from camping this weekend and transitioning into a backyard fort. Yes, this trip was a reminder about why my family will camp more often in the Firefly. But I know that once in a while my friend and I will find moments when all we want is that fine mesh between us and the local insect population. I'm sure that at those times, my husband and daughter will just smile and wave from the comfort of the Firefly. Maybe Darcy will even join us. At least we won't have to pack a stove.
    Tent or raindrop, mishaps or not, I am thankful for the moments that enrich a lifetime. However you travel, I wish you all many moments on your own journey.
    Best, Stelena

2. starlight

starlight Novice

Thanks Jenn!