New (to Us) 560 Ultra

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by Gman, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Gman

Gman Newbie

Just drove 2000 miles to bring this baby home to SoCal. Can't quite decide which tow vehicle to use though. Any thoughts? 20170917_102027.jpg 20170917_102454.jpg

Tom & Diana P and dustinp like this.
  2. Duke's

Duke's Newbie

Gman,

First major trip out will be in a new fangle vehicle but the 69 Impala will be the future tow vehicle once all set up. Just seems going all analog with teardrop and elimination of any mechanical issues that can't be easily resolved is the way to go.

3. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Both the ElCamino, and Impala would be fun to see, and I would love to see your Camp-Inns behind them.
    I toyed with towing ours with our classic too, but then decided unless I was just driving it to town for a car show, the vehicle wasn't one I would like spending days on the road in for comfort reasons.

Even though it is relatively simple to repair, a repair in that vintage a vehicle is much more likely as well, and I wouldn't want to try to the find parts or have to interrupt a trip to do so. If ours had AC, a modernized driveline, and suspension transplant, I might consider it for a shorter trip however, just for the aesthetic fun of it.

Please post pictures of yours all hooked up an ready to go when you have them ready. P1000440.JPG

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  4. Gman

Gman Newbie

My El Camino has a 350, 700R4 transmission, A/C and Hotchkiss sport suspension. That being said, I'll still drive the Tacoma. Like you, I may drive it to a local car show, but that's about it. Looks kind of cool though, as does your T Bird!

dustinp likes this.
  5. Duke's

Duke's Newbie

Come on, where's your sense of adventure. El Camino with AC & 700r4 is perfect. Ford? Well? Ha. I jest. Is a beauty.

350 with THM350 pretty bullit proof, get 18 mpg and all can easily be addressed with simple tools with couple bucks if things did go astray. Yeah yeah not all the creature comforts of modern plastic vehicles but comfy enough. Willing partner required I understand.

Texas to Alaska in the impala pulling CI within next year. That's the goal. Slow steady and scenic. And in the day, these cars were driven as..............cars! Car shows? Arghhhh :)

6. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Hey, go for it man, we'll all be rooting for ya too!
    Keep us up to date on your adventure, and post some pics along the way.

7. Gman

Gman Newbie

Two things....first, let's see some pictures of the Impala!! I love those cars. My dad bought a 65 2 door SS brand new but then got T boned and that was the end of that. Second... how in the heck are you getting 18 MPG out of a 350? I'd be lying if I said I got 10. Of course my twitchy right foot doesn't help matters any. LOL Seriously though, show some pics. I'd love to see your project.

8. sniperJ

sniperJ Newbie

Welcome aboard! I would opt for the Tacoma as well but it is definitely cool to use the El Camino.