new to site. trying to decide on teardrop.

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by joe, Jun 10, 2012.

1. joe

joe Newbie

I'm sure this has been asked a bunch of times, but i'm tring to decide on what teardrop to buy. I really like the 560 model.

am also looking at silver shadow by little guy. Any help would be great.
    thanks joe

2. Deb

Deb Novice

We have a 550 Ultra. Love it! These are the finest tear drop campers made. They are day and night different from Little Guy. Try to see one up close and you won't have to wonder why we are all so gung ho about them. Hang out on the site for a while...read what the others have to say about theirs. Welcome to our world!

3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

There is quite a difference in price between a 560 and a Silver Shadow - however, with the Camp-Inn every penny is worth it and then some. As far as quality, nothing comes close to the Camp-Inn. Cary can hook you up with the closest owner in your area and then you can see it for yourself.

However, unless you plan on buying one, do not EVER sit an a 560 couch. A magic spell will come over you that will cause you to immediately spend every penny you have, sell your boat, and buy it the next day. :)

4. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

We looked at little guys too but once we saw the Camp-Inn there was not turning back. You are so close to the Camp-Inn home base that it would be really great for you to visit and see how the Camp-Inn's made. And to talk to Cary, Craig or Marty and experience the customer attention they give and keep on giving. We wanted to keep our costs down as we are seniors and were not too sure how long we could use it but we are so glad we went with Camp-Inn it was worth every penny. Good luch with your search.

5. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Joe,

Welcome to our forum. A year ago we were asking the same question(s). But in all honesty it's like comparing apples to oranges. Like others have mentioned, get up close and personal with each of them then decide which one is right for you. Once we did that it became vividly clear which way we were going to go…. we have a 550.

edit:
    Evan's right, we sold our boat to get ours and we've used it more since getting it in January than the boat in the five years we had it.

6. joe

joe Newbie

thanks for the feedback. I think I will check into the nearest owner, that's a great idea. I really do like what I see in the 560 ultra.

joe

7. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Joe,

If you are familiar with various traditional RV's, which use RV parts and mass factory approach to production. Within the traditional RV industry price points provide wide selection of products to meet all budgets and needs.

The price points and qualify of production between Camp Inn and Silver Shadow are two very different teardrops.

Silver Shadow has a lower price point, utilizes tradional RV parts, and traditional RV manufacturing craftsmanship, are available at dealers. Might take some searching, but can probably find one on a dealer lot. Certainly have many loyal owners.

Camp Inn's utilize marine and avaiation parts, extremely tight control on production, are available only from Camp Inn. Approximately a 6 month waiting list for product delivery.
    Comparing RV products to aviation and marine parts is like comparing a Ford Pinto to a Mercedes Benz.
    If you are fortunate enough, camping with Craig and Betsey is like have a personal mobile factory repair technician available 24/7. Camp Inn has earned the top spot in teardrop world.

My suggestion, which may appear strange, if you are unfamiliar with various RV's. Is visit many lots, tour all makes and models. Pay attention to products used, and construction quality. Then visit a local Camp Inn owner and Silver Shadow dealer/owner.

Also, if you are able, attend a Teardrop gathering as an opportunity to view various teardrops. Teardrop owners are willing to show and tell. Camp Inn is a great product, yet there are some private top notch craftsman who also make tears for sale.

Good luck in your decision process.

Jean

8. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Joe you are in the right place there is no reason to look any further.You are home you just dont realize it yet.You will never find a teardrop built like this and the customer service they offer any where else. Read the forum and see for yourself.Steve :)

9. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Hello Joe,

Welcome to the family.

Let's see: Little Guy or Camp Inn. Hhhhhmmmmmm....

Little Guy: a nice, unimaginative little trailer, mass produced with average RV products (unsure how many of those parts are made in America, if any), relatively inexpensive as trailers go, offers a limited warranty and months and months of off gassing. The name, Silver Shadow, implies you are buying a Rolls Royce when, in fact it is closer to a Yugo.

Camp Inn: a beautiful, high quality, custom made in America trailer with more bells and whistles than the Grand Central Train station at full capacity. Eco friendly with zero off gassing, solid wood interior with beautifully matched grain (something rarely seen these days), a well planned, stainless steal galley, an exterior and interior stylish beyond the norm and a support team that stays with you as long as you own your trailer - no, really - as long as you own your trailer! As an extra added plus, you get to play with us on this forum. Oh, goodie. This is better than a Rolls Royce. It's a hand built 1932 Bugatti with the tear drop windows.

Now you can go ahead, save a little money, get the Little Guy and have lots of fun with it, I'm sure. But do you really want to be on the road some day, see a Camp Inn cruse on by and wonder "what if"?

Another thought (I've got a million of 'em), come on down to Wisconsin in September to the Camp Inn, Camp Outt gathering. Most of us will be there (we're coming from California - wouldn't miss it). You can pitch a tent or RENT A CAMP INN, join us and have your fill of input on this little charmer. Lots of good food, too.

Yeah, yeah, I'm long winded. I'll just leave you with one little observation: How many Little Guy owners have you met that are as passionate about their purchase as this Camp Inn crowd?

Camp On,

Sue

10. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

We could have bought a brand new, used one time Little Guy with King sized bed and rack on the front for all your gear for $5,000 several years ago. It was camoflage in color....sat down in the doorway (much smaller than CI's) and the back of my legs were being cut into because the design was so bad. BIG no-no! Raised up the hatch - 2 particle board shelves - blank. No sink, no nothin'. Ok, literally a bed on wheels - period. I don't think so!

Then we saw the CI's...OMG! I CRIED when I left the one we went to see because I knew it would be a while before we could purchase one...2 yrs. later we did and I drooled and lurked for 2 yrs....but I'm oh so glad we did. We made the plunge and never looking back!

11. David Olson

David Olson Novice

I can testify to that. We went up to order the 550 ultra in April and left with an order for the 560 Ultra
    That couch will be worth every penny or should I say dollar :)
    We didn't even look at another brand of teardrop.
    I you were to see a Camp Inn (any model) your brand search will be over.

12. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  13. schluns

schluns Novice

We will be picking ours up in a couple of weeks, and boyare we excited. When you buy a camp in, you get photos of yours as it is being built. The craftmanship you see going into it is remarkable. Watching it go from framed to skinned made me feel comfortable in knowing I would have this trailer for a long time.

For sbout 3 years we considered building our own, however, lacking the time (and skills), we decided to have Camp-Inn build it for us. It will have everything on my must have list, and more. Where other vendors were laking on my needs. Definately see about meeting someone in your area to check one out. We did and I can tell you, that sealed the deal. The family we visited pulled theirs out of the garage in the middle of December, and had them contiplating driveway camping at 20 degrees outside.

14. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Fpoole, interesting item. Would probably work well if you were hooked to city water. But it has a curious warranty.

Warranty Information
    The Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Water Heater is backed by a one-year limited warranty on parts, valid while the unit remains at its original point of installation.

Now where did I put that original tree.....

15. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Ahhhhh, the little nestling is about ready for her maiden flight. Fantastic! The excitement of that first sight is a once in a life time thing, so you would think. But, honestly, we have that same feeling every time we take our baby out for an adventure.

Savor the sensations.

And send us pics of your adventures.

Sue and Jim