New Owner, Leaking Window Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bruce O, Jun 27, 2020.

?

Leaking window??

1. Leaking window

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. help - leaking window

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bruce O

Bruce O Novice

Hi All,

I'm a new owner of a 06' 550 Ultra. Camped one night and had a blast! What a great trailer!!!

Upon returning home the following day I encountered a torrential rain storm while on the freeway. I knew it would be a good test for its water tightness. Unfortunately it leaked a bit. The mattress and blanket were wet, the wood wall looked fine, no signs of water saturation. Looking at the outside gasket around the window it looks fine, no noticeable gaps.

Any ideas on what to do? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...

BruceO

Attached Files:

2. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

There are weep holes on the bottom of the windows that will let water in when traveling at highway speeds. Getsome 'wax'ear plugs and put them in when rain expected while traveling.

3. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

4. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

I’ve been through the whole leak thing from A to Z and would suggest that the cause of the problem maybe isn’t what you’d think it is.

I’d also suggest that you get Cary on the phone and have a conversation with him about causes/solutions. He can help.

Robert Dickson
    550 #645
    231 nights, 57k miles

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  5. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

+1 on fernlane's comment - reach out to Cary.

I purchased an '14 550 a couple of months back. No actual problems yet, but I'm full of stupid questions and I want spares for just about everything.

Cary is a super guy that is a great help.

6. Bruce O

Bruce O Novice

Thanks All - for the suggestions.

I'm very impressed with the knowledge and sense of family here on the forum. Such a great community.

Rained last night and the trailer was dry this morning.

Jim - I don't see the weep holes you suggested.

I looked at the rubber seal around the windows and they look solid.

I'll call Cary, I've spoken to him a few times and he's a super great guy.

7. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

The little vent is just above the window. Can allow water in when towing in rain. Thus the ear plugs.

[​IMG]

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  8. Steve Sanford

Steve Sanford Novice

Email camp-Inn for help. I had a leak in the front window towing at highway speeds in a torrential downpour on our 560. I contacted Camp Inn and Cary stepped me thru the repair. I need to get a tube of liquid silicone windshield repair and squeeze some in between the window gasket and the trailer. So far it has held up...

9. Bruce O

Bruce O Novice

Randy - my mistake, its the front windows that leak.

Steve - your solution sounds like the right track. I'll call Cary on Monday.

New issue - The battery was dead in the trailer, it had not been used in 4+ years and the new battery Cary told me to buy is about 1/4" taller. It won't fit underneath the white wood mount for the electrical battery charger. The wood trim is 1"x1" and I'm wondering if I should just take a wood chisel and strip off the bottom? I'd hate to have to remove the entire electrical mount. Any thoughts? Also should I make a new post with this issue - I'm a newbie here?

Attached Files:

10. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

I would for sure start a new post titled "New battery won't fit. Help!"

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  11. Bruce O

Bruce O Novice

Will do thanks

12. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

I'm in full agreement, but after a search of the forum archives, for a search of items of the same name. Our Camp-Inn trailers are relatively basic, and although there are changes thru the years as our trailers evolve forward, they are relatively the same.

Chances are good that someone has already had this issue, has solved it and then documented it here.

13. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I see above you believe the front windows are leaking. The weep holes are on the bottom of the side widows.