New Galley And Cabin Lighting

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Steve and Karen, Nov 5, 2023.

1. When we got the Classic 560, we were trying to save $$ in certain areas. Opting for the plastic "RV" lighting over the Zenons was one area. Over time its basic look and dull diffuse lighting and "budget" appearance has not worn well on me.

I switched the #1156 incandescents out to LED bulbs but still was not satisfied.

Unable to find a decent-looking chrome LED fixture, I have settled on these as an upgrade, if not much in appearance, then certainly in performance:

View attachment upload_2023-11-5_14-56-9.jpeg

View attachment upload_2023-11-5_14-56-30.jpeg

The galley light has 3 temperatures (cool, natural, warm) and is dimmable. Both sides come on together. The single cabin light is dimmable as well but has one temp. The double cabin ceiling light I kept the same single temp as the wall lights, but it has a rocker switch similar to the factory model (1 side on, 2 on). I couldn't find anything with a red light for night vision like the Zenons do. All are noticeably brighter at max than what they replaced.

These are easily switched out as they occupy the same real estate as the factory ones, but with different mounting hole positions. Similar to factory ones, you may not be able to use all the mounting holes owing the large access hole in the wall panel that is necessary for feeding the wires and tucking in the connectors and marrettes. It still mounts flush and solid even with 3 screws. The 2-sided ones in the galley and the ceiling don't have this issue and you can easily use all 8 screws. I didn't detect any wiring under the skin that could pose a problem in any of these areas.

Made by Blue Fire: https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...2729-0c4c-45c3-a30e-ce5b6f106d09&ref_=ast_bln

These will do until there is another enhancement in RV lighting comes along in 5 years.

Kevin likes this.
  2. SethB

SethB Ranger

Those look great! LED yes!

Have you come across an exterior light you like? I’m thinking replacing or augmenting the dinky “porch” light on the passenger side would be super handy in twilight & night; it seems like we always need more light in that area.

Kevin likes this.
  3. Seth: They are certainly a step up from what we had. Maybe not a competitor to the Zenons in appearance, though.

I had been perusing marine lighting sites with hope. But the pricing is quadruple these Amazon ones (or more) which makes them non-starters in my books. In addition, some look initially attractive (meaning they have some chrome or SS and fit better overall with the CI's appearance) but they are truly a flush mount with no cavity in the fixture itself to suck up the extra wiring, connectors and marrettes; the routered hole in the trailers inner wall behind the fixture is only 3/4" deep, I believe, and can only hold so much excess wiring.

If you're not a fan of the single color temp they selected for the model or need them to be dimmable as well, then your choices in the marine market are probably nonexistent. For now, anyway. This area always seems to be improving. Lots of them also have either red or blue leds to save night vision.

You mean something like this?:
    Hella Marine 2XT 959 680-811 - 10-33VDC LED Marine Courtesy Lamp IP67 - LOT OF 2
    Hella Marine Easy-Fit LED Courtesy Light

They are marketed as "courtesy lighting" on marine sites. For steps and such. If you have a way of wiring one of these up on the exterior above the door, I'm all ears. But these may not have the lumens you require. None stated.

Here's a shot of the under-skin wiring on ours:

View attachment upload_2023-11-5_18-1-52.jpeg

... that one would have to skate around if one is doing any outside and inside surgery on the CI. I haven't yet removed the porch light switch to see what, if anything, is behind it and what it may reveal in terms of mounting possibilities for an exterior porch light on the other side of it. The small Hella light above requires about a 1"x 1" x 1/2"D hole in the skin to mount it. You would have power going to the porch light switch, obviously, and given the ubiquity of wiring going past the switch, an opportunity to grab a neutral perhaps as well. Interesting. I'll keep looking.

Kevin and SethB like this.
  4. This may be more what you were thinking: Perimeter LED Flood Light - White Finish/Chrome Trim. Comes in "cool white/red". Not sure how you'd switch the color choice though. 3-way toggle?

1000 Lumens will light up the next 3 camp sites.

Dimensions:
    View attachment upload_2023-11-5_19-15-58.jpeg

5. SethB

SethB Ranger

I’m thinking the marine “courtesy” lights indeed *won’t* have the output needed. I think you’re right, just enough light to see the stairs.

I searched a few weeks back, and found some RV/overland lights with good output but poor appearance. Thanks for referring back to marine lighting, there’s probably a better chance of keeping with our CI style.

Kevin likes this.
  6. SethB

SethB Ranger

Yes! But yikes, the price!

it may be that 1000 lumens is too much?

7. I know. No middle ground.

You have to remember that mariners have pockets a little deeper than us lowly land-lubbers. Or they are more easily coaxed away from their money in the pursuit of upping their boat's bling factor. Hmmm... maybe I shouldn't talk.:rolleyes:

I don't think so. The new galley light I put in is 600. Depends what you're doing on that side of the trailer I suppose. Diffuser tape.

8. Seth: I discovered that the Lumitec light is available in white/ red with both colors dimmable. And it's operable by way of a single pole toggle, if I read the following install sheet correctly:

View attachment upload_2023-11-16_9-27-11.jpeg

The install keeps hole-poking to a bare minimum.

Far greater utility than I had first imagined. But still doesn't do anything about the price. Unless we win the lottery.

9. SethB

SethB Ranger

Thanks!

I did a little more research as well, and found out that if you own a boat for the party afloat you might want underwater lighting off the stern… because it looks cool. Apparently that’s a thing. I suppose it goes with the ground effect lighting under your car and thumping bass. I digress.

Here’s the most promising example I’ve found, rated IP67 for underwater use, make sure to get the white-light version:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088NF4J82

I suppose my next step would be to investigate behind the marker/porch light and its switch to see what kind of space & power could be available for install.

That’s on hold though. My time is currently going to other (non-camping) projects; perhaps to come back to this in the dead of winter!

10. I saw those other "it's a thing" lights too. And the Amazon one. Investigating behind the light switch was on my agenda today.

Can't wait to see your lowrider and hydraulic shock kit for the trailer in action. Would be a hit at CICO.