Need PIcture of Propane Tank Hookup

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Randy, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

I was surprised that my tank was empty after only a couple of meals. Perhaps it didn't ship full. I don't think I left it on at the tank but I did have it disconnected at some point and want to be sure I have everything connected properly and am not leaking.

Can someone post a close-up picture of the tank hook-up from a newer model?

Should there be a large plastic knob like you see on most gas grills that threads over the outside, coarse threads on the tank inlet? My hose only threads on the inside of the inlet using the brass knob.

Thanks!

Randy

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Heyya Randy, does this help?
    [​IMG]

This is with the guage that semi-works but is good to have.

To really confuse the issue, Propane attachments have about 50-million ways to connect.
    It could be an "Innie" or "outie" or both then left left/right screw and then you get into the different sizes.

Threading on the inside should work fine as it's what the Camp Inn set up or whatever they set up. A rounded turn know is standard too. If you look closely at the photo just after the dial is the round know you spoke of. That would be an "Inner"
    (here's a link for a bigger photo if needed)

The black knob comes with the fill dial that goes in between the round brass knob and the tank. It's just supposed to give a guess on the fill level of the tank.. a guess at best..

Chances are it wasn't a full tank or cold will affect it, in Calif, probably not.

I would take it down and "Top it off" and try it again. Should be tight, hand tight. Sometimes the little rubber o-ring gets pinched but you should be smelling it.

sometimes the tanks don't fill completely depending upon the filler, not enough pressure.

If you still have a problem, take the tank to a Propane tank dealer and have them fill/check it.

doubtful it's a leak anywhere or you'd smell it..

It probably just the tank being "Onery" as they can be at time.
    Hope that helps??

3. Randy

Thanks so much. So I don't have the guage. My connector on the hose looks just like what you have going into the guage, brass wheel that you turn to thread into the inside, fine threads on the tank inlet. It's difficult to get the threads started, my wife has to push hard to get the threads started while I turn the brass knob. I don't have anything that threads onto the coarse threads on the outside of the tank inlet and don't have the black plastic knob, wondering if I should.

4. fpoole

Yah, don't push it....
    The Black knob is for the OUTside thread... the brass one you have and I have go inside...

The key is to pull the center plug outward while insert/screwing the outside/inside threads.. heheh, Gawd, see what I mean..
    Stand by, i'll get some pics up, but the inside center piece with black O-ring will go in and set ONCE you get the outside ring threaded to the inside.

By pushing the inside o-ring piece the outter threads won't grab.
    They sorta pull the middle part in to seat. Also, be aware that it's not threading correctly due to reversed threads on Propane devices... opposite of water... be careful NOT to force it and strip some threads.. then you'll have to get a whole new valve...

Stand by, BRB with pic...

5. fpoole

You'll see on the brass knob the <----Tighten----<
    it's the opposite of water threads and push the outter into the threaded inside while pulling back the middle/center part until the threads catch... uploading pics now...
    Standby..

6. fpoole

Pics... the black knob/dial is a middle piece, optional only to show tank levels. you can find them at the hardware stores..

Hope that helps...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Randy

Pulling back is the key. Thanks Franks, that should help.

8. fpoole

Yah, I hate propane connections... heheh it's always "Bass Aackwards"...
    Glad it helped...

9. Randy

I'm very grateful Frank. So I'm assuming that the black cap fits over the brass wheel and threads onto the outer threads of the tank inlet?

10. fpoole

enh, not quite.

The black cap unit, with fill gauge, goes onto the outside of the thread on the tank.

the brass wheel plugs into the other side of the gauge dial black cap unit.

The black cap unit is simply an in-between unit that will show the amount of fuel in the tank, approximately. You don't need it, it's something extra.

the key is the Push/pull on the Brass wheel ....

Hope that helps..

11. Randy

Thanks again Frank. In my reading, the black plastic "Acme Nut" that screws onto the outside threads of the tank is preferred these days over the brass wheel that screws into the inside threads. Curious that CAMPINN does not use the plastic Acme Nut type connector. Just went out and connected the tank. Push/Pull is defintely they key! Thanks for educating me!!

12. fpoole

Yah, Not necessarily...

It's 6 of one, half dozen of another..
    either way is good.. so the brass wheel is a little more sleeker.. If I didn't find the gauge useful I'd have kept the brass wheel..
    It's simply whatever fits.

Brass Wheel is probably a little better as it's cleaner IMNSO.. just a matter of choice.. Not quite as easy to take on/off, but then you only do that to fill...

So CampInn got it right... heheh, as usual, that's why you got it.

Hava good one..

13. Randy

You're right Frank, sleeker look!

14. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Can you really blame them? ACME products never worked out well for Wile E. Coyote.

[​IMG]

15. Randy

Ha ha! Good point!,