Need Help, Water Coming In!

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by skeenut, May 27, 2018.

1. skeenut

skeenut Novice

Second try at posting this, hoping it's not a duplicate.
    We're on the road, down in Fort Lauderdale from NJ.
    It's been rainy for days and will be raining for the next week. We will be unable to get the TD inside and will be traveling up the east coast with a tropical storm for two or three days.
    There's water coming in. It's appearing in the curbside upper storage ceiling near the galley bulkhead. Some of the birch veneer has delaminated.
    I have no idea where it's coming in. Maybe the AC cowl area or the galley hinge. Right now I have a tarp draped over the rear of TD and have wiped out the water. Don't know yet if that will stop the intrusion.
    Does anyone have insight as to where the leak is? I need a short term solution for the rain soaked interstate 1200 mile drive. Gorilla tape and heavy duty tarp kind of fix.
    Is this a known issue with a known solution? Obviously it needs a permanent fix.
    Trying to upload photo of the inside point of entry.
    TIA,
    Jeff, Carole and Ace.

2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I don’t have any personal experience with a leak but have heard the gallery hinge might be a source or maybe condensation.

3. skeenut

skeenut Novice

i9x8OX98TM6pEM7QKh+nmA.jpg gW31TPJFSpifijG7O4qdSA.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  4. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Look at the rear hatch to see if it is centered, with equal gaps right and left. If not, see if you can center the hatch on it's hinge using your palm to move it one way or the other..

5. skeenut

skeenut Novice

Going out right now to see if the hatch is centered.
    Thanks.

6. skeenut

skeenut Novice

OK, the hatch was not centered. It was pushed nearly entirely away from the curb side which is where the leak is. Sounds dramatic, but that made it about 1/8" off center. Hard to believe that could result in a leak.
    Made the correction with gentle-ish palm taps while the hatch was open. Eventually got it eyeball centered at the top.
    Won't know if the leak has been eliminated until we get some rain...

Tom & Diana P and Ken & Peggy like this.
  7. Ken & Peggy

Well, that would be the easy fix - hope it does the trick.

8. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Talk with Cary. It sounds like what happened to us - the galley bulkhead was not properly sealed before leaving the factory. You can e-mail me at steveandalea@gmail.com and I can tell you more. But we are traveling in rural areas, so we won't always be able to access our e-mail.

9. skeenut

skeenut Novice

Yes, hope this is it. Did you guys have this problem too?

10. Ken & Peggy

Not that I remember, but I think I heard the tip about keeping the hatch centered at one of the CampInn CampOutt's that Camp Inn has at the end of September every year. There's a lot of shop talk going on on those weekends, as well as good eats and checking out how everybody else has their camper set up...

11. emptynesters

emptynesters Newbie

We had the same thing occur last year and contacted Cary. He sent me instructions on solving the issue and we have not had a problem since. Easy fix........ Will require a drill with respective bit and clear silicone chalk. The instruction are easy to follow. It is funny that such a small spot on the trailer that needs the chalk can produce wet clothes in the storage area. If you have questions you can email me at weameen@aol.com.

12. Vince G

Vince G Novice

Was that the issue just needed centered or was it more?

Thanks

13. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Not sure on the above, but I get water in the galley if the hatch is open and it is raining hard or if the galley is not centered. Otherwise, it is water tight and no issues.

Ken & Peggy likes this.