Montana!

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by M&L, Jun 29, 2021.

Tags:
  1. M&L

M&L Ranger

Lisa and I just returned from a 15-night adventure to Montana. It was spectacular, as always. We did a loop around the entire state, even going into the Dakotas for a day (we had previously only camped in western Montana). Here are some pics from our campsites and activities (with shots from MT, ID, and ND) for the Camp-Inn family!

We've had #1003 for 7 months now, and she's been to 18 states so far!

Attached Files:

L57, Van_and_Terri, dustinp and 2 others like this.
  2. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Could you expound some on where you went and where you stayed?

3. M&L

M&L Ranger

You betcha!

Starting and ending at our home in Napa, CA, we camped at the following spots (some of them for multiple nights) and used them as a base camp for exploring the surrounding area:

Rye Patch State Recreation Area, NV
    Caribou-Targhee National Forest - Riverside Campground, ID
    Lewis & Clark Caverns State Park, Whitehall, MT
    Custer Gallatin National Forest - Pine Creek Campground, MT
    Medicine Rocks State Park, MT
    Makoshika State Park, MT
    Fort Peck Dam - Downstream Campground, MT
    Beaver Creek Park, MT
    Flathead National Forest - Swan Lake Campground, MT
    Kootenai National Forest - McGillivray Campground, MT
    Priest Lake State Park, ID
    Crooked River National Grassland - Skull Hollow Campground, OR

We also veered in to northwestern Utah, Wyoming (western edge of Yellowstone Natl. Park), both Dakotas including Teddy Roosevelt Natl. Park, and eastern Washington. Also stopped at Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument and numerous other stops along the way...caves, waterfalls, Amish markets, dinosaur bones, cool looking rocks or buildings, etc. Oh, and we explored Fort Benton, the birthplace of Montana; really interesting little town. We've done a lot of the bigger tourist destinations over the years, so the goal this time was to hit state parks and national forest campgrounds (though a few touristy stops still managed to sneak their way in). We pretty much don't eat out anymore due to my wife being an *amazing* cook (who loves to cook in the galley), so meals are almost always at the trailer enjoying whatever nature we have at the campsite while we eat.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  4. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Thanks. I’m leaving South Dakota this morning on my way to Montana, Idaho and Utah before heading back home in SoCal. I don’t see any of my stops on your list. Oh well, it was worth a shot. ;-)

M&L likes this.
  5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

One of my best friends calls that area of the world "Gods Country" --- he's perhaps a little bit more towards the Idaho area, but I think he's onto something....

If it weren't for February :)

-G

M&L likes this.
  6. M&L

M&L Ranger

My wife, whose dad spent a portion of his childhood in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, prefers Montana. I, however, whose dad was born in Missoula, Montana and had grandparents that lived there while grandpa went to pharmacy school, prefer Idaho. Either way, you can't lose with either of them!

7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Its on my bucket list....I want to see it. One of my authors based his book in that area...Moscow.

M&L likes this.
  8. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

He’s not wrong. ;-)

Sweeney and M&L like this.
  9. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Home of Mary Jane's Farm...

Calvin & Jane likes this.
  10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Not familiar with that. Had to look it up ... She's set up a nice little empire :) I admire people who can do that.

11. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Empire is a good choice of word ;) Peggy's been a fan for years. M.J. did a Glamping issue years ago and they were teardropping...

Sweeney likes this.
  12. PluckTheDay

PluckTheDay Newbie

Great trip! Thx for sharing the images of the country and the 560 set up.

M&L likes this.