Moab Easter Jeep Safari

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Anne Jones, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Anne Jones

Anne Jones Newbie

Just got back from 9 days "jeeping" in Moab Utah with my 560. The weather ranged from 2" snow, to really really windy to 80 degrees and perfect. The 560 was wonderful, comfy, the AC worked perfectly, the refrigerator worked perfect (after I got one handle off, thanks Cary). Everyone at KOA kept coming by to see if I really was "by myself" camping and 4 wheeling. I didn't realize that these were "exclusive" guy things but apparently they think so in Utah. Boy did I make their day, out drove and out camped all of them in comfort. By the way a perfect tow vehicle is a Jeep Rubicon.

2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

That is sooo cool.

Cary

3. :) yup we have one of those Rubies. Jerry wants to go to Moab someday...we usually jeep in Colorado.

4. Anne Jones

Anne Jones Newbie

Going cross coiuntry across rocks, back trails, things you can't see or do with a regular car. You need a 4 low transfer case, sway bar disconnect, wheel locks, high clearnace, roll bars and be able to navigate over "slick rock" wich is just another term for sandstone, up steep climbs and steep drops. Get to see country most people only dream of and challenge your equipment and yourself. Go to Red Rock 4 Wheelers, the sponsored the event or Jeep Jamboree, they have a lot of "off road" trips. Some climbs you only see sky when you top out, no idea what's at the top because the incline is so steep. Really a blast!!!!

5. Anne Jones

Anne Jones Newbie

The Easter Jeep was my first excursion, so Colorado this summer is on my list. Live close to the SW/ Corner of Colorado so Silverton area is next on the list for this summer with the Camper. I have a Honda generator for when I have to "dry camp" so I can still have all the goodies working. All I need is for it to quit snowing in the San Juan Mountains. They got another 3 feet this week.
    Do not miss the chance for Easter Jeep in Moab, it's a blast. Everyone is very nice and helpful, the town makes you feel right at home. The vendor show makes you want everything and the drawing after the Boy Scout dinner is amazing. Almost $200,000 in prizes awarded. (of course I didn't win anything)

6. @ Jenn :) :) I love that you are so honest.

@ Silverstreaker - lots of great places to jeep around Silverton area. Ouray and Telluride have some awesome places also. We've gone with the Telluride Rotary Club before. This year they are having a big celebration. In 2012, they are planning to be back with our 25th annual full weekend tour, but nothing posted yet :( The nice thing is the fee they charge goes to scholarships for the kids.http://www.telluride4x4.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  7. PaulaV

PaulaV Novice

I've often tried to understand this mode of adventure! How do you know where to go and what's out there? Are there particular areas that are just meant for this type of off roading? I assume everyone has a GPS. I guess if I had the right vehicle it could be fun. The climbing up big boulders doesn't excite me too much however being in a totally secluded spot that is pitch black with the night sky sounds way kewl.