Missing Keys

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Evan, May 22, 2014.

1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

We can't find either set of keys. Both sets have always been kept in the glove box of our tow vehicle. We have never misplaced either set in four years until now. So, either we have been incredibly forgetful, or somebody rifled through the glove box on a rare day that the car happened to be unlocked and took both sets of keys.

After turning the house up-side-down looking, it's hard to decide right now which scenario is more likely.

In the event that the keys don't turn up, what are our options? Are the locks coded so that ordering replacement keys is possible? Or, will we need to replace all of the locks?

Has anybody else had to do this before?

In order to go camping tomorrow, I plan to do the following:
    Cut the hitch lock. Galley and Cabin doors are already unlocked - no immediate problem there. Both storage compartments are locked. We could camp without them, but perhaps I'll try visiting a locksmith on the way out to see if he can make me a key.

Later, I'll have to deal with getting new keys or new handles for the cabin and kitchen.

Any other ideas would be welcome.

2. Pick

Pick Novice

I'm sure a locksmith can fix you up but what a pain. You might have been a victim of "car hopping" What the kids call going through cars for change, electronics, or whatever. Might be a good idea to keep the key sets in different places when you get them back.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

3. Lee49

Lee49 Novice

Might be a good idea to keep
    an extra set of keys
    in the little black key box
    and put it under your tow vehicle

4. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Evan,

The bad news is that they are not marked on the locks so finding a replacement set is not possible. You would have to replaced all the handles with new. The compartment locks are all keyed alike so these we can send you without having to replace anything. Handles though, not so lucky.

One reminder though. Your trailer did come with some extra keys in the utensil drawer. These I would assume are stashed someone in the house. Might want to look for them. That will get you everything but the rear galley hatch key.

Cary

5. Evan

Cary,

You are a life saver. There was a set in the utensil drawer. Now we have access to the utility compartments, which means we can fill up the water tank.

Unfortunately, the cabin handles had been replaced once already. We'll still have to replace the cabin and rear galley handles, but those were unlocked so at least we can go camping in full style.

6. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

7. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Doesn't help now, I know, but we got this and it has been well worth the money in convenience alone, not to mention peace of mind: HitchSafe HS7000T Key Vault

[​IMG]

8. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

Kinda scary that we trust Evan with the keys to this website, eh? ;-)

You'll find the lost keys Evan. And it'll be in the last place you look.

9. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Maybe in the glove box of your old tow vehicle.....Jim

10. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

We only had 1 set of keys, so I had 2 more made. One set stays in the teardrop, one hangs on the key rack at home & is used for traveling & one never leaves home, as it has been used a few times over the past 13 years to make extra sets when needed.

:cool:

11. Evan

Great idea, Dan & Venessa. One of those might end up on SnuggleBug's hitch.

Betsey, this time around we won't store all of the keys in the same place. I like your plan.

Ashewolf, the last place I looked was on Camp-Inn's website and I did find the keys, but it cost me $90. At least they come with new cabin and galley handles.