Metal shavings found on mattress...

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Ken & Peggy, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We just spent a few days camping at Devils Lake SP near Baraboo, Wisconsin - a great place if you haven't been there.
    When we got there and were setting up, I noticed small metal shavings on the mattress, just below the left side of the roof vent. I couldn't see any obvious cause at the time. This morning when I was cleaning the trailer I noticed more of the same, in the same spot. My guess is they're dropping from the roof fan somehow, because one side of the shaving is painted white. Peggy said she noticed this on an earlier trip, too.

Anyone else have this happening?

2. ronolga

ronolga Newbie

Hi Ken,
    Our roof vent fan stopped working this weekend while camping somewhere in Southern Oregon. I removed the inside rim hoping to locate the problem and was showered with tiny metal shavings that were trapped in there. Maybe you should remove your vent rim and vacuum out whats left. That should cure the problem.
    As for the non-working fan, the 'hot' wire had slipped out of the solderless bayonet terminal sleeve. I simply replaced the solderless terminal (I always carry spares...), stripped back & re-inserted the wire, crimped it and the fan started working again. Which was a good thing because we both had beans for dinner......I call the Fantastic Fan the 'fart evacuation system'

3. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

There is a fix for that too! 1 tsp of cider vinegar in the eqivalent of a can of bean soup. Adjust accordingly to qty of beans in the pot. I.E. 4 qts of beans = 1Tbs of vinegar. Fan will be relegated to bringing in fresh cool air for the temp control and not "explosion" control. :D :D

4. Ken & Peggy

Ron, that's interesting that you have the same problem. The inside rim that requires removing the 4 screws, or just popping out the screen?
    I will try that, but wonder if it will solve the problem or just get rid of the shavings that have accumulated?
    Thanks.

5. ronolga

ronolga Newbie

Hi Ken,

I'm talking about the inside rim with the four screws. Olga had mentioned the metal shavings a few times. I never gave it much thought where they were coming from until I removed the rim. It was full of them. I guess every now and then some would make their way out and down to the bed. I think they are simply metal burs that are the result of cutting the vent hole but never cleaned out before the rim was set in place. I'll bet we won't have the problem any more after I vacuumed everything out.

Ron

6. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Ron, I'll let you know what I find. I hope to get at that today sometime.

7. Ken & Peggy

As Ron said above, and as Cary confirmed on the phone, the shavings were left overs from when the hole was cut in the roof. The flange was loaded with the metal shavings, but are now history - thanks for the help guys.

8. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

FYI: As a preemptive measure, Jim just removed the rim from our fantastic fan and vacuumed it out. He never found any metal shavings, so we can put a check in the positive column for our Camp-Inn!!!