MC4 connectors

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by fernlane, May 25, 2014.

1. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

I assume at least some you who are using solar panels are connecting to them using MC4 connectors. This seems to be at least somewhat of a standard.

I've got a panel on the way and have obtained a cable with mc4 connectors and have attached it to the 12v plug so I can jack in to the 550. My question is when I connect my cables to the panel can they be later removed?

It looks to me like it might take a special tool to take apart these connectors and that they're really considered sort of one-way.

I was hoping to be able to store the cable and the panel separately but maybe not if I use mc4 connectors.

Any of y'all got any thoughts on this? Other connectors maybe?

thanks,

robt

2. Dahava

Dahava Novice

My panel has MC4 connectors that come from the box on back and I simply plug in the "extension cable" into them each time I connect the panel...essentially what you want to do if I read your post correctly. It works a lot like a simple plastic buckle on a back pack of other strap. The "tongs" from one connector fit into the receptacle of the other connector. When you want to separate the, pinch the tongs in and slide the connectors apart.

Does this help?

3. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

yep, I just wanted to know if folks are successfully plugging and unplugging mc4 connectors. Sounds like that's exactly what you're doing.

I've read elsewhere (but what can you believe on the web …) that those connectors are too fragile for frequent plugging/unplugging.

thanks for the info.

rd

4. Dahava

Dahava Novice

RD-

Well, they're certainly not "robust" but they have done well so far. I'm pretty careful with them. I do recall taking a razor blade and cutting a very small portion of the tab on the MC$ to make it easier to connect/disconnect, though.

Good luck! Let me know if you need any add'l info.

- Dan

5. David Olson

David Olson Novice

You should not have any problem disconnecting them. Just don't grab and pull without depressing the one tab first.
    We have the old style ones connecting the panels on our house,and they do require at special tool to disconnect.
    Not so with the new ones.