Massive Hail Storm Camp Trip! Ochoco Nf Dispersed

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by CampInnGlampin, May 31, 2020.

1. CampInnGlampin

CampInnGlampin Junior Ranger

Well we just had a pretty amazing camp trip ;)

More dispersed camping. This time out in Ochoco National Forest. Very nice, huge secluded spots throughout.

We were out with a group of friends this time as restrictions are laxing up a bit out here and with such a massive spot, were able to keep a good distance between our groups.

Was a gorgeous weekend. We went out Thursday evening and planned to stay until Sunday. We knew there was a looming threat of a thunderstorm on Saturday. The rest of the group left Saturday morning as they were small tent and hammock camping. We felt brave in the teardrop.

Little did we know, what would open up out of the sky that afternoon! Enjoy some pics and a video of what hit us. Made for a very memorable camp trip.

Took a few of those to the body and my car is riddled with dents and a busted windshield. Teardrop only got a couple very minor dings as we had 2 tarps over it in preparation and we held the tarp up off the skins best we could to minimize any damage. We need to get a better canopy setup. I know tarps are not the best, but they definitely helped in this situation. Was a great trip though and tons of fun. Much excitement.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Video! Pardon my language at times. Bit excited and I got railed a few times by these bastards. One shot right through the tarp and nailed me in the ear. Glad that one got slowed down by the tarp.

Jenn, Randy, SethB and 3 others like this.
  2. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Wow, that was a nasty Storm!

CampInnGlampin likes this.
  3. SethB

SethB Ranger

That is some pretty amazing hail for Oregon! This time around we only got some significant downpours in Portland.

We bought this from Costco, the Coleman 13’x13’ canopy (link) because it’s big enough to completely cover a large Forest Service picnic table and nobody gets shorted on coverage. It periodically goes on sale for $120. It definitely takes some reading of the instructions, but does go up and down easily once it is figured out.

I think it was last fall we were up on the Olympic Penninsula, one of the wetter places in the lower 48, and discovered that it can completely cover the camper. It does take two people to walk it over the trailer. We rarely use it over the trailer, but that night it was raining buckets. We had a lovely hike in the rainforest the next morning.

Attached Files:

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  4. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Good Grief!