Making the bed

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Jay & Valerie, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Ok. What is the easiest way to make the bed in the morning...We have the mattress and 2" memory foam topper. We have not yet figured out the best way to make the bed. Getting to the covers by the feet is challenging. The excess bedding by the door can be a pain.

I know there must be an easier/better way to make the bed so I thought I would ask here.

2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I sewed some thin tapes diagonally across the bottom corners of our comforter. The tapes are tucked under the corners of the mattress when putting the bed together after a sheet change. This keeps the bottom of the comforter in place, and seems to hold the blankets too, so making the bed is just a matter of pulling things neatly and a little tuck around the edges.

3. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

Just some thoughts, take them as you will... There is no 'easiest' option...

My solution: I don't make the bed. :) Likely mostly because it's just me so I get ALL the covers and don't have to equitably share. So I just shove everything to the foot. I also don't have a 'sheet' per se. Most of the time (if it's not freezing cold) I usually have a single comforter in a comforter/duvet cover. If it is chilly then I have a few more covers, and optional ways to pre-warm the bed if needed.

What I've heard other people have done... is they take their fitted sheet, and their top sheet; and sew them together at the foot; at about the right location, etc. so you can still tuck the fitted sheet under the mattress.

4. birder526

birder526 Novice

And I thought bears might be our biggest worry out there...

5. Towbert

Towbert Novice

Warning - We had a custom sheet set for our Live Aboard Boat that had the top & bottom sheet sewn at the foot - it was a tangled NIGHTMARE in the washer & dryer!

6. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We sewed the top sheet to the fitted sheet along the bottom edge. When making the bed, pick up the head of the mattress and pull the foot towards the head a foot or so. Then put the fitted/top sheet combo on the corners at the feet, slide the mattress back to where it should be, and make the rest of the bed as usual.
    It saves crawling around, trying to get the corners on while you're kneeling on the @#$1! sheets ;)

7. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

So I am wondering. If you go in the camper for a rest, to sit in the couch, do you cover the bed with any other cover to keep it cleaner? Do you store your pillows at the foot end during the day? Sorry if this seems like a silly question. I think I had read in the past of someone who had had a type of upholstery cover made for this application.

8. daustin

daustin Newbie

I put my pillows at the foot during the day. I just take my shoes off and lay on the comforter.

9. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

I purchased these Bed Bands to use for the sheets and blanket at the foot end of the bed.

I cannot report how they work yet. You'll have to wait until mid-July when I pick my Camp-Inn up. I'll let you know shortly after.

10. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

yup

-Al

11. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Ditto...been doing that for 14 years in the teardrop and close to 30 years on our Somma bed. :)

:cool:

12. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Since I can't sew, I ordered some sofa bed sheets. They are sewn together at the bottom. A bit 'spendee' but they work. It is the price I pay for not taking home ec in high school.

13. Pick

Pick Novice

I can't sew either where did you get them?

14. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

http://www.bedlinensetc.com/queen-xl-sofa-bed-sheets.html

15. birder526

birder526 Novice

Ideally I would have retained some sewing skills from home economics too, but did not, so I will look into your recommendation, Joan!

16. birder526

birder526 Novice

This is a great idea, but we just gave away our sleeping bags! I guess we will wrestle with the sheets to start!

17. rte66patti

rte66patti Newbie

Camping World is again selling Travasaks.

18. Rick  Sarah

Rick Sarah Novice

I sewed sheets together for our new 560, then I went to wash them and it was a tangled mess. I ripped out the stitches and sewed on "sew in Velcro" to help hold the sheets together. Will have to wait until May 19th to see how it works.

19. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

We got a set of custom sheets from this place. To avoid the top sheet twisting in the washer, he makes the top sheet with fitted, elastic corners. Not inexpensive but great quality. They will send fabric swatches if you like.

Randy

Custom Sheets

ssackett likes this.
  20. birder526

birder526 Novice

We're using regular queen sheets and that is working out well for us. We make the bed together and we do have to dive in to tuck the sheets and blankets in at the foot! But, it works!