Making my way from Austin to Norfolk VA

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Jay & Valerie, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I will be making my way from Austin to VA in a couple of weeks. Not sure what route to take yet.

Any recommendations? Going to be doing the drive over a weekend so not a lot of time to stop and see sights but happy to meet up with folks along the way.

Helping my daughter move back home while her husband is deployed out to sea (Navy).

2. Sounds like you have to come through Atlanta which I would avoid during rush hour if at all possible.

If you come across and stay on I-20 to cross SC, you will cross my state in the middle. One campground in the Columbia area would be Sesquicentennial State Park. There were would be some campgrounds along the SC/GA state line on Lake Strom Thurmond(aka as Lake Clarks Hill if you live in Ga.)

If you choose I-85 as the way to go from Georgia to Virginia you will come through the part of SC I live in. A couple of State parks that are not far off the interstate are Lake Hartwell State Recreation Area. It is right at the GA/SC state line. Also Sadlers Creek State Park which would be a 20 minute drive off the interstate. It is smaller than the first one I mentioned.

There are several Corps Campgrounds on Lake Hartwell as well that are not far off the interstate. Twin Lakes(there is a write about on the campground section on this site), Coneeross, and Springfield.

As you approach NC along I-85, there is King's Mountain State park.