Maiden Voyage-ci550 #955

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Bob & Carol, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Bob & Carol

Bob & Carol Novice Donating Member

We made our "Maiden Voyage" in our new CI550, not sure what format, so I just copied from our notes:
    Beginning odometer: 81,244

-09/08/18 Saturday. odometer: 81,244
    -I80W to I29N to I90W
    -Oasis Campground-Chamberlain,SD
    ...2nd choice, 1st was booked w/some “beef cooking competition”, no “single-night” guest.
    ...nice campground, clean bathrooms/showers; catered to RV crowd; free WiFi; too close to I90.

-09/09/18 Sunday. odometer: 81,666
    -visited “Dignity Statue”-Chamberlain,SD.
    -I90 to Stugis,SD; SD79N to SD168W to SD85N; SD85N to I94 (Belfield,ND).
    -I94W to Medora,ND (exit 24, exit 27 was under construction).
    ...checked into South Unit-TRNP, road to “Cottonwood” Campground (“pull-thru” site #37) was under
    construction, “pilot cars”, long waits.
    ...“set” camp (CI550-#955); set up side tent for first time, discovered “shortcomings”of tent stakes on
    hard gravel of “pull-thru” site ...will be buying more tent stakes.
    ...determined there was no grocery store in Medora,ND (only a “C-Store” with really overpriced food;
    $3.50 for a sad looking loaf of bread), drove to Dickinson, ND (“Family Fare”) and stocked cooler in
    TD; had dinner (humus and naan bread), retired to TD and watched movie on iPad.

-09/10/18 Monday. odometer: NA-No TD
    ...drove “loop” in the South Unit-TRNP, nice “pullouts” for pictures, beautiful scenery; saw lots of
    prairie dogs and bison, a herd w/baby bison stoped traffic for short time, saw small herd of wild horses,
    got some really good pictures of scenery and wildlife.

...had hamburgers for dinner, enjoyed the campsite ...night sky/stars were spectacular, retired to TD
    and watched movie on iPad.

-09/11/18 Tuesday. odometer: NA-No TD
    -took I94E to SD85N to North Unit-TRNP;
    ...drove the “loop” (more like one way in, one way out) in the North Unit-TRNP; beautiful
    scenery/topography
    ...the “River Bend Overlook” and the “Oxbow Overlook” at the very end (with the viewing structure built
    by the CCC in the 1930’s) were especially beautiful ...you can see why Theodore Roosevelt fell in love
    with this area.
    ...had ribeye steaks, baked beans and naan bread for dinner ...night sky started out overcast, but cleared
    up while I enjoyed the late night fire and my Irish whiskey, retired to TD and watched movie on iPad

-09/12/18 Wednesday. odometer: NA-No TD
    -took I94E to TRNP “Painted Canyon” exit/overlook...again, simply beautiful scenery, great picture
    opportunity
    -drove to Dickinson, ND for supplies ...ended up stopping at “Tractor Supply” and bought water-proof
    5gal buckets w/lids to store some camping supply’s in open bed of truck for the trip home.
    ...also, stopped at Walmart, switched out queen size sleeping bag for sheets and blanket (with "hot spot"
    on phone, was able to bring up Unofficial Forum in parking lot for sheet size recommendations), much
    more comfortable ...sleeping bag was too bulky and hot (rated for 0 degrees).
    …eggs, bacon and toast for dinner …another beautiful night for star gazing ...and just a little Irish
    Whiskey

-09/13/18 Thursday. odometer: 82,554
    ...unfortunately, had to shorten vacation, Carol’s 91 year old mother in the hospital is not doing well
    -took I94E to I29S (Fargo,ND); I29S to I80E (Sioux Falls,SD, Sioux City,IA, Council Bluffs,IA); I80E
    to Des Moines,IA (home)-12 1/2 hours driving…whew!

Ending odometer: 83,377 Total Miles: 2,133
    1,673 TD Miles
    5 nights in TD

For a couple of former "tent-campers", the TD experience was truly a delight. We are planning some shorter trips to finish out the season, and are already planning for next summer.
    DSCF2001.jpg IMG_0107.jpg DSCF2020.jpg DSCF2194.jpg DSCF2072.jpg DSCF2027.jpg DSCF2059.jpg DSCF2159.jpg DSCF2017.jpg DSCF2147.jpg DSCF2097.jpg DSCF2152.jpg

2. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Great photos. Looks like it was a fun trip.

3. Great trip! Hope your mother - in-law is recovering.

4. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Beautiful pics, looking like a lot of fun