Looks Like My Wife Is Getting An Acura Mdx For Towing The Trailer...

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Jay & Valerie, May 17, 2018.

1. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Valerie is getting an MDX to tow the trailer so my truck is free to tow the SxS. 2 vehicles to do off road camping until we can work out a single vehicle solution for camping and off roading.

I go down to sign the papers tomorrow.

Tour 931 likes this.
  2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It should be a good TV. I'm not totally familiar with the MDX. Can you tell me more about it?

3. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Well, I can try, but I just picked it up today and still learning about it. This is our very first SUV so I don't have a ton of experience with them. We had been considering a number of different TVs including the Subaru Outback, Chevy Traverse, Toyota Highlander, and a handful of other cars. I wanted to buy her something that had some nice, high end features because she has never had a really nice car before. While I couldn't afford to buy one of these brand new, I was able to save up enough to get her a 2015 model and found one that was reasonably priced. Someone had just traded this in when they upgraded to a new Mercedes and we lucked out and got this for a really good price.

It is a 2015 Acura MDX with the Advance & Entertainment package. Because we are in Washington now and moving to Denver soon, We wanted the AWD version to be able to handle winter road conditions. It is powered by a 3.5L V6 engine and 6 speed transmission. By default it can tow 3500lbs (you need to add the hitch package to tow anything) and with a transmission cooler added, it can tow 5000lbs. We wanted something that can tow the teardrop without feeling sluggish in hills, etc. so a V6 with a min. tow rating of 3500lbs was where I wanted to start at as the 560 is around 1300lbs and when you add gear, etc. you can easily bump that number quite a bit higher. After doing a bunch of research, we found that the 2015 model had very few complaints compared to other year model cars and the transmission seems to be rock solid. The V6 version of the Outback was another one we were looking at but they were very expensive (even used ones) up here in Washington and did not feel quite as nice as the MDX. We were able to get the used MDX at about the same price we would have paid for a used Outback up here in Washington.

The ride in the car is quiet and comfortable on the highway and around town. It handles well and has a pretty good throttle response, acceleration, stopping, etc. It didn't have much ride noise and is very roomy inside. The model we bought was fully loaded so it has all the driver assist features like lane departure, collision avoidance, GPS/Navigation, multizone climate control, etc.

We are very excited because normally, we would never be in the market for something this nice but scrimping and saving for a few years along with patience and hunting, we were able to find a really good deal. We had a few false starts and I think Valerie was getting frustrated with me and thinking we were never going to get her a car but the timing felt right and I worked the dealer over pretty hard on pricing.

I am going to do a video review of it once I learn a little more about the car and what it can do.

Tour 931 likes this.
  4. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Thanks J&V. Sounds like a great TV.