Long Term Camping Deals

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Warren Mary Ellen, Aug 3, 2019.

1. For anyone who is looking for place to spend winter or at least a month in your teardrop, there are some half price camping deals from the state parks here in South Carolina. If you look at the link below, one is the Snowbird special and those parks are in the Lowcountry with 2 of them on the coast near Myrtle Beach. It would be warmer down there and you would have less chance of winter weather at those parks. The other one is labeled Winter Wonder and includes 5 parks that are in the western part of the state where I live. Oconee is the one that is the highest in elevation so it would be colder up there especially at night.

The special runs from Dec 1 until the end of Feb. Unlikely to have winter weather in December anywhere in South Carolina, although we did have our one dusting of snow in December last year. Best chances to see it are from Jan 1 until middle of February. Normal winter is we have 1-2 winter weather events. The storms that often dump huge amounts of snow in the Northeast often start here, but for us it is a much smaller amount with it often being just rain for us. The window is even smaller in the Lowcountry. December would actually be a nice time to camp in the SC Lowcountry.

Day time temps in Upstate SC, where I live, in the winter run around 50 or so with night time temps from 25-35. It will get into the teens at night some and you can also hit 60 in the daytime. Lowcountry, you can probably add 5 degrees to those numbers and be pretty close. If I was going to do 30 days in a teardrop in the winter here, I would it at the coast or Lowcountry.

Just remember, if they mention winter precipitation in the South people will descend on the grocery store as if a blizzard is going to pin them in their homes for a month. Snow will probably gone by 2:00 that afternoon is the reality. However, it is freezing rain there will be big power outages and you could find yourself a long way from a place that can open for business.

LisaNKevin likes this.
  2. If you have questions, I'll be glad to try and answer them.

Mailei likes this.