Locks

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Lynne & Scott, May 13, 2018.

1. Lynne & Scott

Lynne & Scott Junior Ranger Donating Member

Does anyone else have a heck of a time with the locks on your trailer? Sometimes I wonder if I am even going to get the galley unlocked. At times I fear I am going to break the key off in the lock. One of the side doors we don’t even unlock because it is too hard to get locked again. Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

Yes! This is something that Cary spent several minutes on during orientation. There is a pin that has to line up just right and is moved by the door handle. You typically need to move the hand one way or another a fraction of an inch to get the lock to move easily. The other thing he pointed out is that you really need to pull the door shut firmly with the handle turned then release to get it to fasten. I hope this fixed the problem for you. Ben H

3. SethB

SethB Ranger

A little WD40 squirted into the lock can help displace any dirt & schmutz, and provide some lubrication... which is a little different than what Handben wrote about. Does it seem like things are gummy? Try the WD40 with the little red wand attached.

4. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

You could try to put some silicon lubricant or other lubricant as well, see if that help

5. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

It for sure should be silicone lubricant, not WD-40. The reason is most lock issues are caused by road grit and grime getting in the locks when driving in the rain. The camper is exposed to a great amount of dirty water kicked up by the tow vehicle when driving in the rain. That grit gets in there and we have seen some locks so jammed up you cannot even get the key in them. The silicone lube works as a water repellent to keep this dirty water out of the locks. We recommend re-lubing all the locks on the camper after driving in any substantial rain.

The issue with a good penetrating lubricant like WD-40 in this application is that it drys and then does not work as a water repellent. You can use the WD-40 to break loose any jammed up locks but then flush it out with a silicone lube when completed.

One more big caution. Do not use any graphite lube in the locks, this is a sure way to jam them up really well.

As for lock manipulation follow Ben's advice shown above.

Cary

Jenn likes this.
  6. The first few months we had our 560 Ultra we had a lot of the same issues but follow Cary's advice. After a while you just how to move the handle so it locks and unlocks every time. Use the Silcone lube too like they said in the earlier posts and that will help too.

7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

The locks on mine are hard to operate but the tricks Cary told me work perfect so it is not an issue. More of an issue is I have to lock the side doors when traveling or they will fly open. My Little Guy's door would not come open on their own and I very seldom ever locked it. Currently I don't lock the galley door because it will not open on its own.

On a side note I would like to say that exiting the trailer cabin front the couch position I lift my body using the grab rails and use my foot to work the lever on the door and then push it open. Look ma, no hands.

8. Lynne & Scott

Lynne & Scott Junior Ranger Donating Member

All great advice thank you. I will begin with WD40 as I believe there is a lot of “stuff” in there. (All three outings have been in rain). Then I will later use sulicone lubricant and be sure to focus on the key lining up with the pin. It is the only issue I have had with the camper and I knew the forum, with your wealth of knowledge/experience, would be able to help me problem solve. Many thanks! I will let you know how it works!

9. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We live at the beach and corrosion is a constant battle. We have found a Teflon lubricant great on door locks.

10. LisaNKevin

LisaNKevin Junior Ranger Donating Member

One of our cabin doors just will not turn all the way. It goes approximately 160º and that's it. It feels a bit soft at that point but I don't want to force it. I know about lining the pin up to start it, we do that. We end up locking it from the inside. I have tried a silicone lube spray with the straw, let it sit. Still no joy. Ours is just over 6 yrs old.
    Maybe it has just gone bad? Can they be removed from the door handle for deeper cleaning?

11. Steve & Betsy

Steve & Betsy Novice

I found for the galley lock to raise the rear hatch and then spray silicone spray into the lock. Keep the hatch door up and spray every day for a few days. This lets the spray run down into the lock.

If the doors are bad take the handle and lock off the door. Find a way to keep it vertical and do the same thing everyday for a few days. Again this lets the spray run all the way down into the lock.

Use silicone spray often, even after washing the trailer.

I frequently turn the key in the locks to help keep them loose. It seems to me they stick more after sitting awhile.

Jenn and LisaNKevin like this.
  12. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

I use a Teflon Spray for locks available at Home Depot.

13. LisaNKevin

So, I am able to turn the key completely 180º (with a little resistance at the end). I can then remove the key but the lock remains unlocked. My question is, do I just need to buy a new handle?

14. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Sounds like it might be time for a call to CampInn...

LisaNKevin likes this.
  15. Cary Winch

If the key is turning 180 degrees and not unlocking the little brass locking pin inside has somehow gotten sheared off. Time for a new handle.

Locks often get trashed out and new handles are a common replacement item. They are found on our online store on the parts page.

Cary

Jenn and LisaNKevin like this.
  16. LisaNKevin

Thanks, Cary!

17. LisaNKevin

I have received the handles and I replaced the damaged handle. It is moderately difficult to turn the handle if I tighten the screws down so it is flush and so the axle (I'm not sure what to call it) goes in as far as the other one does. Is this normal? Will it loosen up in time? Should I have put some silicone goop on it? I saw remnants of silicon when I removed the old one.

18. LisaNKevin

Pinging this thread again....can anyone tell me if it is supposed to be stiff to turn the new handle once it has been installed?

19. Cary Winch

Lisa,

If the handle sticks when the screws are fully tightened but not when they are a bit loose then that indicates a slight misalignment between the handle and the latch. Usually the easiest fix is to solidly mount the door handle. Then take the 6 screws out holding the latch body inside the door. Fill the existing screw holes in the door with dowel or glue and toothpicks. Then reinstall the door latch drilling new holes for the 6 screws in the wood. That will correct alignment issues and make the handle run smooth again.

Cary

LisaNKevin likes this.
  20. LisaNKevin

That sounds like something out of my wheelhouse of abilities.