Locks for trailer hitch

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Evan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I think one or both of these locks is very important to have. Lots of people would like a Camp-Inn, but only some of us wanted to pay for it. :)

[​IMG]

I use the silver coupler lock when we are traveling to keep the trailer from detaching itself from the tow vehicle.
    We also lock the pin in the down position when leaving the tear at a campsite.
    This isn't the exact one that I have, but it probably works just the same.
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200304923_200304923
    [​IMG]

The yellow locking ball is for when the trailer sits in the garage.
    http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/Gorilla-Guard-Universal-Trailer-Coupler-Lock_p_51.html
    [​IMG]

(I didn't buy from these sites, just providing the links to help point in the right direction)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  2. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

These locks look like a good idea - we pulled Suite Retreat out of the garage to air in the driveway and she looked pretty vulnerable. Thanks, Pat

3. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

LOVE the name Suite Retreat...I thought of a name for our's when we get it but can't reveal it till it's a done deal...wouldn't be prudent!

4. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

Hi all,
    i just stopped our local Hitch and Trailer shop. The fellow there was helpful and gave me the following advice. LOCK EVERYTHING! Apparently trailer theft of all kinds is at an all time high. He recommended the Husky lock that essentially plugs the ball. That is what all the construction and county crews use around here. I did buy one.

BUT many thieves do not worry about putting the trailer on the tow vehicle's ball. They just hook up the safety chains and go. Especially with light weight trailers - i.e teardrops! He recommends that you wrap and tie up the chains around the tongue and secure them with a master lock.

I hate to be paranoid, but tis life these days.....
    Happy Camping!
    Eileen

5. Kent Kanipe

Kent Kanipe Novice

I'm gald a bunch of minds get to work these things out. I have the locks for the hitch ball and for the pin. I recall explaining to Kristin that sometimes people will use a chain and just tow a trailer off. So now it turns out that I have been providing them with the perfect chain! It's that problem I have with not thinking things through rearing it's head again. I really appreciate the tip on the safety chains.

Kent

6. abccampinn

abccampinn Novice

Eileen,
    Thanks for those tips about hitch/trailer locking. Great advice! It will be heeded. Living in Maine, I am probably too trusting of everybody. Thanks for the wake up call.
    Charlie

7. BobB

BobB Novice

Eileen,
    Thanks for the info. I just ordered a Brinks set that includes locks all keyed with the same key. It includes two extra padlocks to use with your own cables or chains.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LS8ZYE/ref=oss_product

Do CI trailers come with safety chains or do I need to buy these?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  8. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

Hi all,
    Sorry to spread bad news about trailer theft. I realize that I do live in one of the worst areas for the recession, a very urban area and close to the border - thus in an extreme locale.
    But the fellow I talked to today was very sincere and wanted me to get out of my fleece lined security bubble. He sold me what he thought was best, NOT every gadget and lock imaginable - which he carries. He could have talked be out of lots more moola....I spent alot of time going over trailer lockdown.

If this prevents one trailer from being stolen, its worth it!
    The Tearjerkers site posted a homemade trailer in San Diego that was stolen from their driveway - so it is time to be aware.....
    Eileen

9. abccampinn

abccampinn Novice

Bob,
    The Camp-Inns do come with safety chains.
    Charlie

10. BobB

BobB Novice

Thanks Charlie

11. wonko

wonko Novice

12. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

It would be great to have some pictures your trailers locked up. I don't understand the tie and lock of the chains.
    thanks,
    Pat

13. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I haven't actually locked my chains at any time, but I think if you wrapped them around the nose of the trailer and then put a padlock through two links, it would keep a thief from unwinding them and using for towing.

14. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

15. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

THAT should make it pretty tough to steal a trailer!

16. bcannizzo

bcannizzo Novice

Steve'n Ellen,

Karin and I have something similar to the link you gave... have a picture if I can figure out how to upload it. Very easy to use.

17. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Since the CampInn's have solid rims, I wonder if this type of lock would still be effective. The pictures in the links all show the claws 'through' the wheels.
    Ken

18. wonko

wonko Novice

This video shows the claw in use and it is clearly not going through the wheel.

19. BobB

BobB Novice

Thanks for the video link. I wasn't able to get the video to play, but I did see another version of the club that looked pretty good.

http://www.etrailer.com/p-WI490.html

What I like about this wheel lock is that it appears to block a thief from removing lug nuts and taking the tire off entirely.

Anybody have experiance with this?

20. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Bob,

That one would not clear the fender. Wouldn't work. The claw style does because it will clear the hubcaps. Alot of the wheel locks out there will not work with the baby moon hubcaps.

Cary