Locked Out

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by Steve and Karen, Oct 19, 2023.

1. I keep my C-I supplied water and propane adapters stored where I will eventually need to use them, with no searching: behind the locked gas-water panel. Smart, right? Not so much. One shifted during travel and prevented the 90-degree lock tab from fully disengaging. Luckily the entire panel can come off by removing the 8 screws that hold the panel door in place.

One would think I would be predisposed to ensuring that this wouldn’t happen, as I had had a similar previous lock-out issue with one of the front storage doors (same mechanism), after cramming way too much stuff in there. The other door was accessible so I was able to clear the blockage from the opposite side.

A reminder to not get too greedy with your storage options and to keep the 3 lock areas free of actual (or potential) obstructions.

SethB, Ken & Peggy, Kevin and 2 others like this.
  2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

During our orientation, Cary warned us about leaving the Windows on the doors locked during travel --- Apparently, people have had their load shift and "flip" the door locks while in transit makgin it impossible to get into the camper. Word to the wise if you are in the habit of locking the door from the inside.

3. Sweeney: I do remember that caution from Cary about the cabin doors (so far, no mishaps on that front). If I had been wisely applying the same logic to these other 3 locks, I wouldn't have had to go through this slow learning curve. At least the galley lock appears to be in no inherent danger of being similarly "mismanaged" by me, or anyone else.

If I get locked out of the cutlery drawer, then I'll know it's probably time to give up this travel gig.

4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

It happened to me, sort of. This summer while traveling, my load did shift and the curbside door was locked from the inside. It can happen. Fortunately, the street side door was unlocked so there was no drama. But --- just as a cautionary tale, shifting loads CAN lock the door.

The cutlery drawer is one of my favorite "They've engineered this trailer very well!" story points. I like to point out smart little design details that you wouldn't necessarily think of. Shifting silverware wedged in such a way as to prevent a drawer from opening is not likely with the flat joint between the drawer front and the top of the inner drawer.

Ironically, just yesterday, I spent 10 minutes trying to get a drawer on my toolbox (Dewalt T-Stak Drawer) because something shifted and jammed the drawer so it would not open. I had to resort to the shake it, and jerk on it until it breaks approach. I won. The offending multi-meter and drawer were undamaged.

Kevin and Steve and Karen like this.