LIttle Buddy Propane Heater?

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Randy, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Little Buddy Heater

Has anyone used this heater? It has an oxygen sensor and auto shut off if tipped over so seems safe.

Thanks!

Randy

2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Randy,

No, not for the cabin. Not enough volume of space for this type of heater to be inside our cabins. This would be far from safe

I believe recently there was a post by Steve from TN on here demonstrating a method where he uses one of these in the side tent. With the cabin door open and the cabin vented the heater threw enough heat to warm the cabin while leaving the cabin well ventilated. Haven't seen this work myself but you may want to look for Steve's post on the subject.

Cary

3. Randy

Jenn - I am looking for an inside heater. They claim this is safe for enclosed spaces, but given Cary's warning I think I will steer clear.

Thanks Cary

4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Well, I have all 3 of the Buddy boy heaters... and I would NOT use the smaller one in the cabin as Cary stated, it's a little too small cabin space.

I use one for my Tent which is bigger than the TD and more ventilated.

There are some smaller space heaters, but electric... I would NOT use propane in that TD cabin at ALL... maybe look for a 12volt one?
    I just did a quick search for "Camping 12 volt heater" and came up with a few..

I'd focus on the blankets/down comforters/coverings and a heat pad before putting a heater in there. AND???
    it doesn't take long to heat the cabin...

Heads up though, the heaters... pads included suck a lotta power from the battery.. Just keep that in mind.

fun... brrrrr...
    This won't work either inside: (joking)
    [​IMG]

More fun with beer...

5. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

If you desire heat with no electricity, safest bet is to invest in a generator to run a small electric space heater.

Jean

6. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

I selected options when I placed my order with Cary, but I have been reading and analyzing the forum to fine tune my final selections. My delivery date is first half of July.

I, like Randy, wanted to explore different options than a Camp-Inn furnace. Discussion in this topic has convinced me that Mr. Heater is not an acceptable back up plan, primarily due to incomplete combustion gases, uncertainty about the type of regulator is built into Mr. Heater to reduce inlet gas pressure, and having a large hot device with propane bottle inside the cabin.

I didn't want the furnace option for a couple reasons: (1) volume is lost in the external storage compartment in the front behind the propane tank (ducting is routed in this area) and (2) my trip plans will not incur many nights where heat is required. If heat is needed and electricity is available, a small ceramic electric heater would do the job. Times where propane might be the only source of heat, would be 1-3 nights per year max. I’ve concluded that the Camp-Inn cost of the furnace is hard to justify.

Another option to heat inside the cabin, albeit somewhat expensive, is the Olympian Wave 3. It is a catalytic heater, which means very nearly complete combustion. The size (11-3/4" H x 10-1/4" W x 3-1/2" D) means that a person could devise a way to hang it from the wall at the foot of the bed. The size is about the same size as 3" thick, 3 ring notebook binder. The heater would be stored in the tow vehicle, except on nights when used.

Camping World advertises the Olympian Wave heaters for RV use. Their advertisement called them “safety heaters”.

There is no way I would allow myself to go to sleep with the Wave 3 operating. It would be operated long enough to take the chill out of the cabin (with a window slightly cracked), then turn it off, close the window, and go to sleep.

The Wave 3 is the smallest of Olympian’s catalytic models, but still larger than the teardrop requires. For instance, the heater claims it will heat up to 130 square foot area. This translates to 1040 cubic feet; 10 x 13 = 130 square feet times 8 feet high = 1040 cubic feet. The teardrop (with its roof line and cabinetry) is about 5’ x 6’ x 3-1/2’, or a room volume of about 105 cubic feet. The heater capacity is 10 times what is required for a Camp-Inn trailer.

I too am concerned about propane in the cabin, but how do large RVs safely utilize propane inside. A line connecting to the propane supply to the Camp-Inn stove could be routed through the wall. Tubing with shutoff valve could be coiled inside a cabinet. This line would be connected to the Olympian heater on nights where electricity is unavailable.

Is there a safety difference for large RV’s having regulated propane lines connected to appliances inside (stoves, ovens, furnaces, and small spaces heaters) as opposed to having a propane line inside a teardrop? I see both having about the same safety risk.

I’m in the thought process and wonder if anyone has looked into the Olympian heaters. I would appreciate feedback.

Kevin likes this.
  7. Chaos

Chaos Newbie

Catalytic heaters are 'safe' because they don't produce carbon monoxide as a byproduct. However, they need oxygen for the catalytic reaction to occur.
    The danger isn't propane in an enclosed space, it is the possibility that the heater will use up the (limited) available oxygen in the cabin causing hypoxia.

The problem with hypoxia is you may become drowsy and / or confused rendering your ability to make intelligent decisions about opening windows, turning off the heater, etc.

Kevin likes this.
  8. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Catalytic heaters will not be safe in a space as small and tightly sealed as the cabin of a teardrop (or Raindrop). This goes for the Mr Buddy or the Olympic. While it is true, these are both considered safe in small spaces because they are extremely low in Carbon monoxide output. Carbon monoxide is a quick and deadly killer. Most RVs are either much larger in interior volume and draftier or are a tent trailer which is about as sealed as a screen door. This is why those are fine for those applications, not here though. A Catalytic heater creates it's heat by converting air into Carbon Dioxide. While this is a "safe" gas for breathing you can only be breathing a certain percentage. The output volume of CO2 on these units is just too great for the volume of air available. The dilution ratio becomes unsafe far too quickly. Another point too, as the heating element ages with use it starts to produce Carbon monoxide also. So, an older heater just isn't safe any more either.

The only safe heaters for inside the cabin are electrics, period.

Cary

Kevin likes this.
  9. Randy

Frank,

Thanks for the feedback and great picture! After reading through this discussion I think I have ruled out using a fuel-type heater in the cabin.

Randy

10. Chaos

Chaos Newbie

Jean W's idea is a good one.

You might consider a Honda EU1000i / EU2000i generator. Small / portable and very quiet. Use it to run a portable electric heater when needed.
    They are expensive, but can be used for other tasks (unlike the built-in heater)

11. fpoole

Yep, clear and simple.

I'd have to agree on that one. Generators are fine but not at night and most parks have hour limits for good reason.

While I do have a Honda 2000 gen, I don't like to use it as it is noisy etc. I did get a big old 100amp AMG? (whatever they're called) battery and park it under the little side table. I plug it in to a 12v socket and use that for battery power. TD battery is used, as is the propane on TD tongue, as a backup.

The generator, if need be, would be to recharge the big battery during the day so as not to disturb as much.

Still, with long johns, a big thick down comforter and an electric 12v heat pad, I'm not seeing a problem. I've only been down to 13F and while cold outside I was fairly warm inside.

I would NOT use anything combustible inside period.
    I couldn't sleep at night while "Brain Noodling" all the ways it could go badly... heheh

Do it the old fashion way, dress warmly...
    and the TD heaters???

I look at it like a fire extinguisher...
    you don't need it until ya need it.

I have it an use it all the time. Rarely in the middle of the night, maybe 5-10 times in 6 yrs...

12. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I love my furnace. I don't leave it on at night but if I wake up cold I turn it on for a few minutes. That's all it takes to warm things up. Even with what little experience I have I wouldn't even consider leaving that option off. I belong to an association called Cowboy Campsite. Primitive camping, no electric, now water, no nothing. It is a horse camping camp bordering on lots of DNR property with good trails. Can't plug in an electric heater. Besides that would be one more thing to carry.

13. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

This forum is great. Thanks for setting me straight about any type of heater that robs oxygen from the cabin.

With a delivery date in summer, I'm planning on going to Necedah in early-to-mid March to firm up all options. It will be good to meet up with Craig and Cary and see the workmanship of these top of the line campers.

I see a pattern where folk living in the NW, upper Midwest, or Maine have heaters, but not the air conditioner; whereas folks in the south have the air conditioner, but not the heater. Kansas, besides being the most boring state in America to drive across, has temperature extremes of -15 to 118 during the year.

14. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have to disagree, the most boring state is Illinois. 12 long hours of boring country. flat and corn. I drove thru both Illinois and Kansas this past October. Loved the Kansas Blue hills, Kansas Toadstools, Flinthills, Rocktown, country views around Manhattan are breathtaking Arikaree Breaks. At least in Kansas the topography changes, wonderful semi arid hills with prarie grasses swaying in the wind.

Jean

15. fpoole

Yep, plenty exciting here...

[​IMG]

hmmm. somewhere but not here??

16. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

If any of you have a generator as I have a 2000 watt small generator that I rarely use but I have converted it to run off propane so I don't have to carry gasoline.

I can also run it on natural gas or gasoline. If any one is interested in this a bought my kit from uscarb.com

Dave

17. birder526

birder526 Novice

We passed on the furnace. Although I know we will face some cold nights, we will have a down comforter and 2 wool blankets with us. Plus we have the usual thermal underwear and hats and gloves if we are really feeling the chill! We bought a small electric ceramic heater just to take the chill off the cabin before we go to sleep. We are glad to have retained the full storage space as well in the exterior storage box.

18. pbaker2225

Well,two in a small space should be able to keep warm and you have someone to put your cold feet on.

19. We also carry two good old fashioned water bottles. Heat up some water, fill em up and put them into the bed while you make dinner. Makes for a very cosy start to the night!

20. pbaker2225

My thought is that no matter how you chose to keep warm it takes up space somewhere. You have to store that ceramic heater, extra warm and thick sleeping clothes, wool blankets,water bottles. Soooo, Without the furnace you will have that little extra storage in the front box, which has a tiny door to access. Too me having heat was one of the most important advantages to taking the step up from tent camping. After making my coffee on a cold morning I can retreat to the cabin and sip my coffee and read while waking up. After a wet hike I can come back strip off and warm up for a few minutes. Everyone knows their own tolerance for cold. I also did consider resale value when adding options and which options couldn't be added later.

Kevin likes this.