Lithium Battery

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Robert Gersten, Aug 13, 2024.

1. My wife and I have a brand new 560 with the lithium battery. The trailer is parked out of the sun with the Dometic cooler on the side table. Running the cooler at 37 degrees and the roof fan at moderate power, the battery went from 100% to 56% in a little less than 12 hours. Is this what is to be expected?

2. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

I also have a new camper and have not seen a drop like that. Some factors that may affect the power drain- is the cooler in the sun or covered with a towel? A moist towel on top may help with cooling loss.

We also only run the fan at night while we are in the camper and have used the screens in the daytime to air it out

3. What I am finding is that the fan pulls more amps than the cooler. The cooler averages slightly over one amp on an average, the fan is slightly over two amps and running two of the three lights on moderate setting draws 1.4 amps. Run the fan at night, the lights a few hours a day and the cooler and the lithium battery might not last much more than a couple of days. To augment I just purchased a 200 watt portable solar panels and am also evaluating a 1000 watt Jackery or equivalent power station. It is a small price to pay for more confidence in having adequate electrical power.

Kevin, dustinp and Van_and_Terri like this.
  4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I have a 220 watt folding solar panel, and I tell ya, I love it --- if there's sun it really charges the battery quickly, and I have lead acid/deep cycle. It wont help with battery draw, but it does take care of the 'problem' --- I'm an energy hog too. Between my fan, chargers, media server, hot spot and lights -- I can barely keep a battery charged.

What fan are you using? I have been told the maxxair fans are more efficient --- I have one, and even if it weren't I'd upgrade just for the rain sensor --- don't ask me how I know the value in that :D

Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  5. I got in the Jackery 500 box and it works well and is easy to use. I have charged it from ac as well as my Renology solar panels. It will power my cooler for about 2 days. Howeve, I am having zero success in having my solar panels charge the lithium battery on my 560. The amber light illuminates on the CTEK box but zero charge is going to my battery. I have my solar panels pointing right at a 95 degree Texas sun. My battery is registering 43% on the Tri- Metric gauge and does not budge. My tester shows current on the Merinco plug but it seems to stop there. I began my conversation a few days ago with Cary about this. He said that it is possible that the lithium battery would not take the solar charge because the battery may have been close to fully charged. At that point the battery was showing 80% + charged on the Tri-Metric and having 13.2 volts. Do you have any thoughts on this? I will talk to Cary again on Monday.

6. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Fuse?

7. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

The reason I suggested a fuse is because on my 560 (#701) there is a 10 Amp inline fuse between the solar plug on the side of the trailer and the battery (very clearly shown in the wiring diagram in the manual). I have had that fuse blow before and the only symptom was the failure of the solar panel to send any voltage to the battery.

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  8. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Good point. I have a used 560 and not yet tried the solar in side port. I had the Nest backfit the solar roof so I have a mix of old and new wire bundles...slow learner still tracing!

9. Here is where we are on the DC battery charging issue. I am unable to charge the battery either from the tow vehicle alternator or the solar panels. My ammeter and the CTEK indicate power is getting to the CTEK but seems to be getting no further. I spent time with Craig over the phone and he had me check additional points with the ammeter. Craig believes that there might be a problem with the CTEK box. He sent me out a replacement CTEK and instructed me on how to handle the switching of the units. I should have the replacement in a day or two.
    The Jackery 500 was purchased off Amazon for $325. It is the old model that will only charge up about 500 times. As I am 80, I doubt that that limitation will be much of an obstacle. There are a number of quality devices like Jackery on the market, so shop around. My wife and I are going to take the 560 on a little 8 day trip in mid September. Going to go to Fort Davis and Big Bend National Park in SW Texas. Good opportunity to learn the 560.

dustinp, Kevin and Randy like this.
  10. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Pretty country there, I hear.

11. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

OK I think I may have jinxed myself. I have just experienced the same thing . After being on the road for 6 hours I am usually charged to 100 percent this time it was only at 47 percent. Wondering if maybe I have a bad ctek as well?

Ours is number 1108

Kevin likes this.
  12. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

While possible, I think it's unlikely to have two failures. I'd suspect loose connections or a bad battery as the single point of failure.

Kevin likes this.
  13. Update: I installed the replacement CTEK that Craig sent. Problems still exist, maybe more. Some power flowed from the tow vehicle to the battery for a while then stopped. No charge comes through from the solar panels and none of the new CTEK lights illuminate. I did a bunch of ammeter tests, guided over the phone by Craig. Nothing conclusive. I sent the old CTEK back to Craig for his analysis. Craig will determine an action plan. I know Cary reads these posts and probably Craig also.

14. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

Update: I talked to Craig and he had me reset the parameters on the tri-metric meter. I should have written them down but when you’re on the phone getting an issue resolved you don’t think of these things! lol Craig had to take a sec to get his…
    We’re still monitoring, and writing this reminds me I should log it daily. We are currently in Zion NP plugged in. Last night we were at 71 this morning it was at 67 just the fan and dometic running. Unplugged it and plugged it back in and I am at 71.