Leveling questions

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Trippster, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Trippster

Trippster Novice

Yo,
    A question came to mind as we were leveling the trailer yesterday. How anal are you about putting the bubble in the middle of the level? The Lynx levelers I guess would work in most cases, hover, when we put a level to the trailer, we raised the right side to where the bubble was in the middle, but the 1 inch lynx leveler was to big to fit below the wheel. Do you just level in one inch increments and let it stay at that? So what else can you do? Leave one wheel up just off the ground or what?
    Thanks all.

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I'm not sure if you're using a Lynx leveler under the jack pads, but that's what I do. Then I know there is a good base. I use both jacks, but 1 side is only raised enough to take the 'bounce' out of the trailer. The rest of the leveling is done to the low side. So sometimes a wheel could be off the ground. I don't put a Lynx under the 2 rear wheels at all, but I do use one under the front trailer wheel...

3. Ken & Peggy

Jenn, we do the same thing you do when not unhitching - error on the side of keeping the head higher, no front wheel or jacks. When unhitching, I'll use the jacks with a Lynx leveler under each if on anything but a concrete pad. The reason is that it's a wider base than the jack base, so it should prevent sinking into soft ground. Probably only really crucial to have if you're in a particularly soft spot, but I'm into the habit now. You can get them at a lot of places, WalMart being one. They are often sold in 10 packs - here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

4. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

I am jumping on this one sorry Ken.

Lynx levelers are plastic pieces that are about 1" thick.
    They nest and stack to create a leveling platform. They are also good for the pads on the leveling jacks as they provide a wide base.

See picture on a "big rig"

[​IMG]

5. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

A level? There's a level? And leveling jacks? :eek:

Why wasn't I told about this??? :eek:

:cool:

6. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Personally I have always been half a bubble off!

7. Ken & Peggy

"... The cobbler's children have no shoes..."

8. Ken & Peggy

I always thought you were pretty level-headed.

9. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Yeah, what he said! :D

In all fairness to Craig, ours is the first production model, so it is sans many of the myriad of options available today. A few years ago, he had to do some extensive renovations on it & added the leveling jacks at that time. Although we generally don't need them, they are a nice addition. As for the level, eyeballing has worked for me...plus it would mean I would lose valuable space for some very necessary cooking accessory. ;) ;) ;)

:cool:

10. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

yup we keep the head a little high if needed and eye ball. I think it was Tina that showed us how to use a wine glass as a level as well as the swing of the doors. It works and I have an app on my iphone if I ever needed it. Less extra stuff so I do not have to remember where it is and like Betsy says saves room for food and cooking ware.

11. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

a wine glass?

I use a spray can of Pam

Seems to work

-Al

12. Monica

Monica Novice

Ok, I get the wine glass, but Pam? Al, please explain? And are there really levels on the jacks? Have only used our jacks once and didn't notice a thing! Monica

13. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

ALCat i think we are all waiting to hear about the pam.Steve :)

14. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

The best I could figure, he lays the Pam on its side, and if it rolls he has some leveling to take care of. Is that what you do?

15. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Marty showed us our preferred leveling technique… put the drain plug in the sink add a little water, raise the side that has the most water until it's pretty close to equal on both sides of the drain. Works front to back also using the tongue jack… adjust to your desired sleeping angle.

I cut two jack pads out of some scrap 5/4 decking that I had laying around. Easily stores in the axe hole (front storage area). Haven't had a need for anything more to this point.

16. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Thanks I had not heard that one but makes sense. Pads sound easily doable too.