Let's see the light

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Kent Kanipe, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Kent Kanipe

Kent Kanipe Novice

FYI, just installed a set of LED tail lights. Boy, these are bright and after almost being rear-ended this is what I was looking for. Just pop the old lights out and plug in the new ones.

Kent

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Kent, is this what you are talking about?
    LEDTrailerLights.com

If so, is the price similar?

Thanks,
    Ken

3. Kent Kanipe

Kent Kanipe Novice

Different deal.....The lights I bought look just like the stock lights from Camp-Inn. Went to NAPA and bought 2 LED versions in their trailer light section. Expensive at $24 each, but no one is going to miss your brakes...OK, there can always be a dufus out there paying no attention. Still, I feel better about being seen and a sexy look is always welcome at age 64.

Kent

4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

So, you just change out the bulb - not the fixture?

5. Ken & Peggy

Kent,
    Is there a part/bulb # to look for? Or can you include a link to them?
    Thanks,
    Ken

6. Kent Kanipe

Kent Kanipe Novice

I seem to be unable to find the link for what I bought, even at the NAPA online store. Easier to stop by a parts place I guess. Your original tail light installed by Camp-Inn is a sealed unit. To replace it simply pop it out and unplug(pry carefully between the rubber grommet and the lens). The LED is also a sealed unit that just plugs in and reinserts into the grommet. There appear to be several types with regard to the number of diodes. I have a unit that has about 50 small diodes, it shines like a jewel. Sorry I can't do better. This is my dufus morning..

Kent

7. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Kent. I will take a ride to the local auto parts store and see what I come up with.
    Ken

8. Ken & Peggy

Installed and ready to shine

Thanks to Kent and Betsey for your help. I ordered the new tail lights this morning at the local NAPA store and they arrived this afternoon. Once I realized what had to be replaced it became an easy job. I can't wait to see them in action.
    For anyone still wondering, you do replace the entire lens assembly, by carefully prying it out with a small screwdriver. The screwdriver's placed between the rubber and the lens itself, and the lens assembly is removed, leaving the rubber in place. You have to work both sides of the lens, prying it out a little at a time, until you can finally work it out the rest of the way by hand. The wire connectors are then pulled straight off the back of the assembly. Replacing the lens is just a matter of carefully pushing/tapping it back 'into' the hole you removed it from.
    Here's the NAPA part number: G6002
    Here's the link to the part description page: NAPA LED Tail Light
    It is about a 10 minute job, really.
    Thanks again Kent and Betsey.

Ken