Update Leaving The Nest

Discussion in 'Announcements & Build Journals' started by ghaynes, Sep 17, 2012.

1. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

So after my self imposed 11 month wait I am in Necedah picking up my 560. Well worth the wait from my original trip and order back in October of 2011.

Lots of changes at the factory since then. New addition in the back of the original building allows much more space for deliveries.

Got to see the original tear drop.

Got to meet Craig. Should have taken a picture because all I saw was his legs sticking out from under my trailer for a good part of the day. Battery charger decided to die before leaving. (Only kidding about just seeing only his legs...)

Had to do a bunch of work remotely and Cary accommodated multiple breaks in the checkout. Will finish that tomorrow.

Found the local guy to WoodyWax the trailer before I hit the road. Will do that in the morning then start heading back to Colorado.

Note for those picking up there CI for the next few weeks/months. If you driving from Tomah across State Route 21. If you heading east ignore the bridge out detour signs. Head east until you get to Excelsior Ave. Road is blocked just past that. Turn right (south). Go one block and turn left, still on Excelsior. That dead ends into Co Hwy PP. Turn left, back to 21, turn right and you will be on your way. Reverse if you are coming back westbound.

If you like the long ride through northern Wisconsin, have 30 minutes to spare or more, like to see wildlife preserves then follow the posted detour signs.....

Hope to meet some of you. Unfortunately timing for CICO this year didn't work out.

Drive safe.

2. bcannizzo

bcannizzo Novice

Good to have another CI in CO! My daughter Karin and share ours... it lives with her in Colorado Springs. Enjoy and welcome to ownership.

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Congrats Gary! Have a safe trip home.

4. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

My preferred route to Necedah is to take I-90 to New Lisbon, WI. Head north on CR 80. Personally I have found Hwy 21 to be a busy two lane. At this point no detours on CR 80.

Gary, Congrats on your new teardrop.

5. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Gary congrats and good luck with your 560 have a safe trip home. :)

6. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Jean's route is still the preferred route to get here. Even without the road closure if coming from the west on 90 I would suggest taking that route. If coming down on 94 Gary's route works well.

Gary had to use the "local" detour because he was staying at a hotel on the north side of Tomah.

Cary

7. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

Woody Wax guy? I would like the info please if you're satisfied with his work.
    Thanks and safe travels back home.
    Mike

8. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Ditto Gary can you give us the name & number of the people who did your Woody Wax. I will be picking up end of Oct or early Nov and want to have some protection Woody Wax or Shark Hide and would like to have it done prior to my 2000 mile trip. Thanks Dave

9. Deb

Deb Novice

Congratulations on the new 560! Safe journey home!

10. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

So on the road at last. First night in the town park at Jewell, Iowa, north of Des Moines about 4 miles west of I35. Nice park, $21 got me power but the water is off for the season. Great wifi. Good layout next to a lake and about 10 other folks here. I think the park is 150+ spaces and with their spansion all sites will have water and electric next year.

On the Woody Wax at the factory Cary can chime in. Eric who does the job did a great job on the trailer. Learned a couple of tricks that I will write up. Still even the pro needed six hours to do my 560. Eric works various jobs and it sounds like the season (cranberries) and other commitments leads me to believe that you should ask Cary and see what can be setup in advance.

11. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

6 Hours! That would take a big bite out of my CI CO time! Maybe I'll just do the front where the bugs and dirt will hit .... speaking of bugs, we have something in FL called Love Bugs. They come out twice a year for mating purposes (love bugs - got it). The are so bad that the Turnpike rest areas have automatic windshield sprayers. Just pull up and get squirted. That usually is enough to get you to the next rest area. You have to get them off the painted surface of your car ASAP or they'll eat through the paint. They are out now so should be gone by the time we get back from CI CO ... but just in case I'll have to Woody Wax some parts anyway.
    Mike

12. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Gary, did Eric use XXX or Woody Wax? Did he do everything by hand or did he use a buffer? I've used XXX and applied in small 2'x2' sections but it streaks where they overlap. Did you notice any overlap areas after Eric was finished? I'd be interested in knowing the tips he shared with you.

I emailed Woody about the streaking.

Reply:

Hi AJ:

Thank you for your e mail. I forwarded your e mail to Woody and these were his recommendations:

-1. Take your applicator towel and wet it, wring it out and then put a very small amount of XXX Paste Wax on it.
    -2. With this wet applicator towel with a little XXX Paste Wax on it, blend the areas that look streaky.
    -3. Immediately wipe the area with a clean microfiber towel.

Woody said that if you wash the trailer before you wax, this might help with the streaking.

13. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

AJ

The process was to use blue paper shop towels. One of those to apply the XXX Paste Wax to the small area. Put a fresh blue paper shop towel onto that area with the buffer resting on top. Work that in with the combination of the paper towel and buffer. When it starts to look good remove the shop towel and continue to buff until resistance is gone. Repeat as many times as required to complete the trailer.

If you look close you can still usually see where the overlaps are. According to Eric and Cary they will level out over some time. But something that is unavoidable.

Quite frankly while they are still there to my eye they are pretty well gone after I got home. But if you are fussy then you may want to do something. I just don't know that you will find karma.

14. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Gary,

Thanks for the insight. I'll be working on it tomorrow, getting it ready for the Camp Outt.

aj