Leaving for Nova Scotia Monday

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Ken & Peggy, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We made a last minute change to our trip plan this year - we were going to head West to California and back and take in about 8 or 9 Nat'l. Parks, but weather and fires became a factor. So we decided to head East instead, making our way on the US side of the border, up through Maine, visiting at least Nova Scotia, with Cape Breton Highlands Nat'l. Park being a part of the trip. We've tentatively given ourselves about a month of travel, but don't know if we can stay away from the grandkids for that long... So the idea is to get there quickly to maximize exposure to Eastern Canada sites, and then head home.

Haven't had much time to investigate potential destinations, so please share your suggestions/recommendations for places to see in that neck of the woods.

Tour 931 likes this.
  2. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

on our way to/from Newfoundland a few years ago we camped in several provincial parks in New Brunswick and NS:

New River Beach PP, NB
    Caribou & Munroe's Island PP, NS
    Wolfe Pointe CG, Fundy National Park

these were all nice places with nice walks to do when you arrive etc. We didn't have any reservations and were camping in August.

We spent two weeks on Newfoundland and had a great time. The trip over and back on the big ferry-ships is a hoot.

3. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

Re the Maine portion: We just got back from a week of camping on Mount Desert Island (Acadia National Park). The Mount Desert Campground on Somes Sound is probably my favorite campground so far that I've taken our Teardrop. It's near the center of the island (but waterfront) and is a good launching point for activities all over the island. It's a challenge though to get spots so you might try reserving now if you plan to pass through this area.

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  4. Ken & Peggy

Thank you! I'll have to look into the options for ferries, too.

5. Ken & Peggy

Acadia is a great park - we've stayed there years ago on a trip with our two youngest kids. We'll be visiting one of their friends there this trip, who is now a NPS ranger.

6. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

Fernlane...we are planning a month long plus trip to Newfoundland in Aug/Sept 2019 as it gets closer and we begin detailed planning if it's o.k will p.m.

7. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

that'll be fine.
    Ferry reservations are something you'll want to early. You can do it online. We went from North Sydney to Port aux Basques heading over (about 6 hours) and returned from Argentia, which is an overnight ferry. Basically worked our way from one side of the island to the other.
    I don't remember making any reservations for any of the campgrounds and we stayed on Newfoundland for two weeks in August.
    Just a gorgeous, wonderful place. Icebergs are pretty amazing to this southern boy.

robt dickson
    550 #645

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  8. Ken & Peggy

Sounds pretty awesome. Did you do Newfoundland with the teardrop? Any camping suggestions on the island?

9. Ken & Peggy

Looks like the ferry to and from Port aux Basques is going to run about $600 for a round trip - sound right? Didn't price a return from Argentia. I just want to confirm that I'm reading the rates correctly...

10. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

I got $594 in canadian dollars which right now equals $454 US dollars. It'll cost more for sure if you return from Argentia and book a cabin as we did.

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  11. Ken & Peggy

Thanks for confirming. Peg doesn't like the idea of a longer, overnight ferry, so we'd use Port aux Basques both ways...

12. Ken & Peggy

Are you still going to take your trip? Or are you already in it? Be sure to post your favorite activities here so we can re-live our trip through you! Have a wonderful time.

13. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  14. Ken & Peggy

That's been on our list for a while as well. Have a great time.