Larger Side Tent That Will Attach To Side Doors?

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by sarmay, Aug 4, 2018.

1. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

Has anyone tried to attach one of the SUV tents to the side door of a 560 Ultra? We would like a side tent that is large enough for our kids to sleep in (they're going to be too big for the bunk beds, but they don't want to sleep in a rooftop tent). I was looking at two brands of tents that have a sleeve that hooks around the hatch, and was wondering if there is a way to use one of those?

Paha Que told me there is no way they can help with a side tent, so their "custom" option is not so custom, I guess.

2. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

3. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

The timing of this question is really good. Up till now I would have said that there isn't a decent solution to the problem you're trying to solve. I don't think you'll get an SUV tent to fit well onto the side of the 560 - these typically tie around an open hatch and snug up underneath. You could definitely use one on the back of the 560 though.

That said, getting the roof rack option and installing an ARB awning with tent room would fit the bill quite well. There was a very recent thread with pics showing how this is done. The owner said that it makes a very nice fit between the side of the trailer and the awning tent. He said he'd post some pics from his next outing showing how it seals up and the fit between the tent and trailer. Here's a link to the thread. You'll see pics of the tent deployed toward the bottom of the thread: Arb Awning Mounted To Raindrop

Jim Carter likes this.
  4. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

I was wondering if the SUV tents can be made to snug around the door, since the CI side tent has a similar set up?

5. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

I'd look at two options...a Roof Top Tent or an Oztent RV3. The RTT is nice on a trailer because it can be left on permanently as opposed to a car/truck where it needs to be taken on and off. The Oztent (different sizes) has a built in canopy which can include optional sides if you want to enclose the space between the CI and your children. It is about 6' long fully closed, but sets up in 30 seconds or less excluding any side panels. I love the simplicity of it. I've had both. I sold my RTT because I don't have a roof rack on my CI. It's too heavy for on/off every trip on my SUV tow vehicle. I'm part of the 'overland' community that's been very RTT friendly, though seeing many selling them for Oztent.

6. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

I was interested in the RTT, but the kids both said they don't like the idea of needing to climb a ladder to get in/out. I was looking at the oztent, but doesn't it need to be mounted on a roof rack during transit due to size? Do you know if we could fit two cots in the RV3?

7. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

I haven't ever seen anyone do this. I imagine you could rig something up to attach it with paracord and tarp attachment points but it would be pretty sloppy. I think it is kind of a square peg/round hole kind of thing.

The CI side tent has buckles and straps to try cinch it up next to the trailer. Even with these, it's not a very tight fit (at least not when I set it up). On our first trip, I set it up mostly so our golden retriever could have a place to sleep next to us. She was able to take advantage of the gap between the trailer and the tent to squeeze out. Given the time it takes to set up the side tent, we haven't mustered enough enthusiasm to try to set it up again. Instead we bought the travel size Clam tent which sets up in minute or 2. This is where we change clothes, keep our bags and other stuff as well as our jug and funnel when nature calls. They do make larger versions which have built in side walls. This could be a good option for the kids.

Or you could just use a regular tent? This will give you a lot more flexibility in terms of placement. Every site is going to be somewhat different. A tent that's not coupled to the trailer will allow you to choose the optimum place. I have a Coleman quick set up tent that pops up in about 1-2 minutes for when my kids are around. With cots and thermarests, they have pretty cozy sleeping quarters. An alternative might be to use the tow vehicle as a place to sleep if it has a flat bed in the back (ex. SUV or pickup).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  8. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

I travel with the Oztent RV2 in my CI...it's about 6' long, so fits. I believe the larger ones are the same length packed. It's replaced some of our other items, so we're happy with the decision. I bought my Oztent used, the prior owner strapped it to his tow vehicle roof rack.

9. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

Will the Oz2 fit two cots, or do I need a bigger one? I was looking at the Oxley 5 lite because it packs down smaller, so I know it would fit inside (and is also significantly less expensive).

10. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

You could probably modify a freestanding tent like we did for our side tent.

RollingRob likes this.
  11. tdldjdx2

tdldjdx2 Newbie

Have you seen the roof top tent for sale now by Camp Inn? Looks awesome as long as you have the Roof Racks. Go to Camp Inn site and look at extras.

12. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

I have. My kids are not interested in a rooftop tent (they don't want to deal with the ladder in the middle of the night).

13. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Another classic solution to this question is to use our side entrance tent as a breezeway of sorts between the Camp-Inn camper and a larger wall tent. Just butt the two tents together at the door ways and the kids can stay in the tent and share the entrance tent with mom and dad.

Cary

sarmay and Evan like this.
  14. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Nice

15. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

The Oztent RV2 will fit 2 cots, but better with the lower height versions unless you get a larger tent. Standard height will be up against the back slanted wall...probably not an issue, but could be an annoyance. Nice thing with cots is you can store stuff under them. But I don't sleep well on a cot without some padding, and when I tested out the REI 3.5" sleep pad...wow, that thing is awesome. No feeling the ground, sleep more comfortable and my wife likes it too! Less storage, but we don't really need it. And these require less work than a cot.

16. Shearwater

Shearwater Newbie

First of all, we’re new here and not (yet) CI owners, but thank you for letting us join the fun. I’ll do a proper introduction over on the new members thread.

We are currently Little Guy owners and acquired a Paha Que 5 x 7 side tent last year. It’s made all the difference in our camping experience. The initial post in this thread said that Paha Que couldn’t help but I wonder if anyone has tried to connect the LG version as-is to a CI? The airlock seems to be quite generously cut so there might be enough fabric. We’re camping this weekend in Whitewater State Park, MN and we would be happy to take a measurement of the airlock circumference if anyone is interested.

For those who are not familiar with how this tent connects, there is a collar (what I call the air lock) that pulls tight around the camper door. It requires the attachment of upper and lower rubber flanges around the camper door. Theses can be molded to fit any door shape.

We’re based in St Paul and camp mostly in MN state parks. We would be happy to show the tent to anyone local if you’re curious.

17. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

I'm not sure how you would attach rubber flanges around the CI doors? I sorely wish the CI side tents were just that little bit larger so that we could fit one kid in each one. :D

18. Shearwater

Shearwater Newbie

The flange is maybe 30” long and has a J profile. It attaches with premounted 3M automotive adhesive tape. Because it’s rubber, it’s very flexible so it can conform to the door profile. The tent collar tucks into the J hook and is drawn tight. Seems to work pretty well.

I've attached a picture of the lower flange. Ignore my sloppy silicone caulk job, I installed a flange that was missing from the factory build and since the factory caulked the edge, I decided to play at safe and do the same.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    sarmay likes this.