OR State Park L.L."Stub" Stewart State Park (Banks)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Mick'nSarah, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Hi all,

Here is the link to the review I just wrote on Stub Stewart. Great campground for folks who want to camp near, but outside Portland. It is 31 miles away from downtown and a great quick get-a-way for those of us who are already here.

HaveKidWillTeardrop

The gist: It is meadow camping, and one of our newest parks, so plantings haven't matured yet (they will provide better privacy in the future). There is lots of hiking and biking in the area, and if you have room to pack your horse, they are welcome too. Nice place, but can get busy!

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Since I store my CI, I have to charge it periodically over the winter. Instead of bringing it home, I am trying my hand at winter camping. So far, so good. It got down to 29 last night but Bailey and I were warm and snug. Sun is suppose to shine today and 45 degrees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Re: L.L. Stub Stewart State Park

Very brave, Joan - way to go!

4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Rock on Joan...
    Winter isn't that bad if you prepare for it...

It's actually nice, just bring warm stuff obviously. It's like hiking in the winter.. fun.. snow is not a problem if planned well..

it snowed see additional pics LOL..

[​IMG]

Nite always looks better than day time... but...

[​IMG]

Fun... heheh

Gallery Photos

5. jfocallag

Thanks Frank. I have been enjoying myself. It is snowing right now. I hope it melts tomorrow before I have to leave. A little nervous about towing in the snow.

6. jfocallag

Jenn,

Not much and it is raining more than snowing now. By the time I leave tomorrow, it should be almost 40 and sunny. Worst case is I leave the camper and come back on Wednesday when it will be warmer. It Is only about an hour from home.

I have a picture in another post under adventures. I hope you have a Happy New Year.

7. jfocallag

[​IMG]

8. jfocallag

[​IMG]

9. jfocallag

Unfortunately I left my camera at home otherwise I would have taken pictures of the beautiful stars last night and tonight. The pictures I have taken are with my iPad.

Have a wonderful 2013.

10. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Joan,
    Driving in the snow isn't so bad, just common sense, just take it easy. Going up steep hills will probably be a problem, but on a well traveled road, unless it's icy, it's not too bad.
    Nice & Easy to get a feel for it... I don't notice any difference with or without the trailer. I drive a mid-sized truck, 4wd so might make a little more difference...

Jenn,
    thanks. It really is nice as long as it's not blowing...

[​IMG]
    (whoops... Oh Mann.. I'm posting the same pic as an earlier one... I need to stop, LOL pic changed, apologies)
    More here, came into area, Skagit Valley, sort of creates it own weather system... no snow until we got into the park. But spots were cleared so not bad at all. And yes, that's Mar's TD number 49? or something like that, a 4' classic...
    More Gallery pics here

Gearing up now, planning some extended shakedown, for me anyway, short trips to locale area. Not quite ready for the big ones yet.. LOL.. but working on it..

11. jfocallag

[​IMG]

12. jfocallag

[​IMG]

13. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Are you staying in the upper or lower loop? It looks like more foliage than we had in the upper loop, but you might be in a different part of the loop than we were in the summer too.

14. jfocallag

Sarah,

I was in the west loop, site 40. The east loop was closed. Originally, they only had sites 2 through 17 available but they were busy enough that they opened up sites 40 through 44. I was originally scheduled for site 12 but since I got there early, they moved me to site 40. I am glad that they did. I got much more sun than I would have in site 12. On Sunday, it got up to about 45. I sat in my zero gravity chair in my sleeping bag and read my book in the sun. It was great. I would definitely recommend the sites in the west loop that are on the internal part of the loop. There is more vegetation to provide privacy when the park is full. The other sites have very little privacy.

15. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Joan, you are a tougher camper than I! Those shots look downright cold! Beautiful, but cold.

16. jfocallag

Being from Chicago, I would think that cold would not be an issue for you. Happy New Year.

17. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Joan great pictures,it looked nice and quiet. :)