Kelty Sideroads Awning

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by rgupnorth, Aug 29, 2023.

1. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

Recently picked up the Kelty Sideroads Awning and used it the first time last week. Fit the camper quite well and we were able to open the galley lid all the way up with no issues. Was very satisfied with how it worked. Easy to set up and take down.

Attached Files:

2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

We have one that is similar -- it works very well. The poles opposite the camper are rigid, and I was shocked at how much wind it could take. We have the roof rack option, and used it to add stability...works great!

How deep is it? Is the back end fly optional?

EDIT: Found it on REI --- nice price too! I was expecting it to be more simply because Kelty is a reputable name....unlike the plethora of AI generated random names used on Amazon for marketing purposes...which is actually a brilliant marketing idea...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
    Kevin likes this.
  3. rgupnorth

LisaNKevin, Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  4. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

Would it be possible to attach it to the top/end of the hatch? So the base is further away and you'd have more room ?

5. SethB

SethB Ranger

LisaNKevin, Steve and Karen and Kevin like this.
  6. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

I bought a Haska awning recently from Amazon that looks much like those. I’ve seen people secure them on the roof of the teardrop with suction cups, which seem to hold quite well.

Kevin likes this.
  7. rgupnorth

You probably could as there are straps attached but I think there might be undue stress on the lid if the wind kicked up.

8. rgupnorth

9. rgupnorth

Kevin and SethB like this.
  10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I've got an awning that is remarkably similar to this. It's end of life and may be replaced with this model -- I like it better than the King Camp I have, which is just a cheap amazon product.

The awning could be attached to the galley hatch, probably with really strong suction cups, but I'd be careful about this.

First, especially with suction cups, if it grabbed this sail, it could jerk upward on the hatch and do unpredictable things. While CI makes an amazing product, I do know of cases where wood has cracked on the lifting arm as well as the track the arm rides in.

Second, we like to close our gally at night --- keeps out trash pandas. Attaching this to the hatch would make it more difficult to close.

The one we have looks like the same size --- and its plenty big for a couple chairs.

I >DO< wish Pahaque would reintroduce the Cottonwood 10x10 or 12x12 --- It was, by far, the best solution we've ever had :(

11. gregangsten

gregangsten Junior Ranger

I have one of these and have used it that way using 2 loops around the galley hatch locking bar. It does make closing the hatch more problematic however so I generally attach it similarly to RGupnorth's.

I like its quick setup and the wrap-around aspect of it is good for keeping rain out without the need for side panels.

Kevin and rgupnorth like this.
  12. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Looks good!

... If the wind picks up those cross-poles look like they would maintain integrity far longer than the SunBrella, or a tarp for quickie shade off the hatch end.

Plus if it comes loose from the ground you only have to cut it loose on side or the other to allow it to kite away,
    Ideally without the CI in tow...;)

...which is a small but significant concern if my NB12x is tucked over the end,
    (or a Clam, same-same?)
    Attached as I do with multiple straps on the teardrop, to keep the skeeters and meat hornets out (i hate those sumb1tches)...

Making it a hazard in a sudden squall...>50kts.

Kelty makes good gear.
    Hmmm. Always looking for that KISS solution for 90% of use...

Combined with roof sucker attach points it can be a porta potty privacy screen too, on the side, amiright?

Let us know how it holds up for ya!
    Glamp On!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2023
    LisaNKevin, rgupnorth and dustinp like this.
  13. Ron Mullis

Ron Mullis Newbie

Just ordered one myself. What would you do if on concrete and could not stake down?

14. rgupnorth

Could try a couple of gallon water jugs - one each corner.

Kevin likes this.
  15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Be really careful with weights --- I've seen them picked up and thrown by a wild wind. These are basically big sails, and a little breeze can put a lot of energy into the fabric. I've seen weights thrown around fortunately landing softly on the roof of a pickup truck...This was from a rigid frame tent (easy-up) --- but I rarely if ever see a staked corner fail.

Weights will 'swing' and add energy...

LisaNKevin and Kevin like this.
  16. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I set up my Kelty up this weekend of the first time...I attached to my wheels and roof rack. I needed 2 short cords to anchor the corner to the trailer (it slips down when you close the galley hatch alone, if you close the galley)

I also added to poles (not included) in the far corners, and guylines --- this setup worked really well. I'm not 100% sold on the blue straps, I think I need to make it just a little better -- but for a first use, I like this tent a lot.

View attachment upload_2023-9-18_8-7-57.png

17. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Ya, I really like that rig. Much more room than a SunBrella or rigging a small tarp unbraced- and those arched poles look like they'd hold up in a bit of a breeze, yet fast enough to disconnect in a sudden thunderstorm squall as needed, or the haboob on the desert playa.

18. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Its amazing how strong simple tie-down lines can be.

Also, correct the length in general, not just extending to the bumper of the TV. The tent pins have a lot of sheer strength, but not a whole lot in tension. In other words, pulling sideways, they wont' go much of anywhere. But pull 'up' and they pop right out. I use simple paracord -- mostly because I can get it in dayglow orange and apparently even in glow in the dark. I've "clotheslined" myself several times and prefer not to do that. :D

When my camping mentor first had this conversation with me I thought he was a little touched, but I've become a believer.

The weights --- while the story I told was not me --- I saw how my equivalently well engineered PVC pipes filled with concrete get tossed around. Each of those weight about 70 pounds +/- and on a breezy day (10mph?) they offered very little...

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  19. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

I received mine today. Thanks for the post.

Jenn likes this.
  20. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Its a great awning --- I hadn't upgraded by preliminary opinion, but having used it 2-3 times now, and I like it --- Seeing how other used it as a side room showed how flexible it is as a solution as well...

Nice piece of kit....