KathyBob's Big Trip 2012 - part 1

Discussion in 'Long Haul' started by KathyBob, Oct 8, 2012.

1. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

This year we started our "Big Trip" early: August 16. Typically we start in the fall but wanted to be sure to make the CI-CO the end of September. We made it home on October 5, earlier than planned because of the cold weather that came in from Canada. Jim & Sue sent us text messages with warnings and we so very much appreciate that. As it was, we encountered a bit of snow but the road remained clear through Wyoming, Montana and Idaho. Trip stats: 51 days, a little over 8400 miles towing the TD, 32 nights in the TD.

Our route in two parts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First night - Army Corps of Engineer campground in Priest River, ID on the beautiful Pend Oreille River
    [​IMG]
    Stopped at Lake Louise in Banff NP before heading up the Icefields Parkway
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This couple is from Australia but living in Denver for three years. He built this TD, which was on its maiden voyage from Denver to Jasper and back. Hopes to take it to Alaska before they return to Australia.
    [​IMG]
    From Banff we traveled south to Utah, where we visited Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP, Capitol Reef NP and Arches NP. All spectacular but each unique despite all being part of the Colorado Plateau.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Less I exceed the allowed bytes per post, on to the next . . .

2. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

KathyBob's Big Trip 2012 - part 2

We were sorry to leave the Colorado Plateau, but time to move on. Despite the heat, we enjoyed our stays at Meade SP in Kansas and the Army Corps of Engineers campground at Lake Waurika, OK. Was hot both nights and we questioned our decision to forego the air conditioner!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We then stayed 2 nights at the Pilot Knoll campground in Highland Village, TX before heading to Crossett, AR where we styed in the "Port" of Crossett RV Park. Because of storms from Hurricane Isaac AND heat, we were very glad to find out that our Coleman 10x10 screen tent (thanks again for that tip, Jim and Sue) allowed us to run the fan despite the rain
    [​IMG]
    From Crossett on to Alabama, where we slept on 'real beds' while visiting family.
    From Alabama, we headed towards the Great Smoky Mountains NP. Our B-I-L had suggested a side-trip to Cades Cove, a restored settlement on the west side of the park. It was a wonderful suggestion and we're glad we took it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We saw tons of motorcyclists while driving across the park. At a rest stop we met the smallest rider: Bullett the wonder-dog
    [​IMG]
    On the other side of the park, we stopped in Asheville, NC to visit the Biltmore Estate with Kathy's sister. We had visited The Breakers in Rhode Island last year, another mansion built by a Vanderbilt. The Breakers was much more glitzy than the Biltmore but we'd hate to be responsible for the housecleaning of either.
    [​IMG]
    After a visit with a friend in Fayetteville, NC, we headed northwest and took the opportunity to visit the Longaberger Basket factory in Frazeyburg, OH, and the RV/MH Museum in Elkhart, IN before arriving for a 10-day stay in Lansing, MI.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On to part 3 . . .

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Re: KathyBob's Big Trip 2012 - part 2

Love that old teardrop.

4. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

KathyBob's Big Trip 2012 - part 3

Great visit in Lansing with Bob's family - especially the opportunity to meet a new grand-nephew and new grand-niece. It was hard to leave but the CI-CO was beckoning.
    Tahquamenon Falls SP in the UP was excellent, as everyone has reported. And so was Council Grounds SP in WI (thanks Mr. Ed for the tip about following SR107 along the Wisconsin River.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On September 27 we arrived at the "mothership" to have some minor work done on the TD. Then finally we were able to set up the TD and start the good times with old friends and begin making new friends. We had a wonderful, wonderful time and can't wait for next year's #10. So many people have posted better pictures, so here are just a few:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks to everyone who made our travels so enjoyable!

Bob and Kathy

5. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Lake Louise is on my list. I am thinking of tying that in with a trip to Glacier NP, so I might be hitting you up for suggestions! Maybe next year, or the year after. Looks so amazing!

6. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Whoa...
    Great trip Kathy & Bob..
    Good show... sigh, so many places, so little time...

7. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Great trip thanks for the pictures. To Mick and Sarah who commented above I have never seen a more beautiful area than Glacier National Park and am planning on going back there when I get my trailer. This is a must place to visit for anyone.

Dave

8. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Sarah, it brought tears to my eyes when we turned the corner of the path and could see it. An awesome experience. Makes all kinds of sense to combine trip to Jasper, Banff and Glacier (the US park); or you can come at it via Canada 1 and visit Mt. Revelstoke, Glacier (the Canadian park), Yono, Jasper and Banff. Apparently, the Canadian school kids all start back at the same time; the weekend we were there was the last one before school. A ranger told us that reservations for the more popular campgrounds near Tunnel Mountain are made a year in advance. We lucked into Johnson Campground: modern restrooms & showers, drinking water but no electricity (and lots of mosquitos). Feel free to tap us for any information we can provide.

9. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Kathy and Bob what an awesome trip. I have been to Lake Louise 5 times and each time I have been awestruck - beautiful pictures. I would like to sit around a campfire with you and here the stories but the forum will have to do. Great to have the forum. By the way how did you do the map? It is a great view of your trip.

10. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Hi, Pat. Really hope we get a chance to camp together again!

RE the map (I was pretty proud of myself that I figured this out)
    *go to maps.google.com
    *use the directions function to put in the sequence of the trip (I did the two parts because there were so many nights)
    *once you have the route the way you want it, select the screen (I used the function key "prtsc")
    *open the Paint program and paste the screen picture into Paint
    *select the portion of the map you want and then save it as a JPG
    *once it's an image, you can edit it using the crop tool and then plug it in like you do any photo

I use Windows, I think you have a Mac so it may work differently. I'll bet Evan can help you figure it out.

Please tell Penny Hi

Kathy

11. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Great story and pics! Seeing those sw np' s makes me wantto get back out that way.

12. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

KathyBob part 1 looks and sounds great. :)

13. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

KathyBob part 2 was as nice as part 1. :)

14. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

Bob and Kathy,

What great pictures. Can't wait to get out that way. It was so great meeting you both in person. What is Uncle Matt's last name? I was going to call him and tell him his favorite niece said "hello" but I couldn't remember their last name.

Carol and Mike

15. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Re: KathyBob's Big Trip 2012 - part 3

KathyBob part 3 was the icing on the cake with pictures of the Camp Inn Camp Out thanks for sharing. :)

16. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Matt and Lillian Simons; let me know what he says!

It was great meeting you both. Be sure to let us know if you plan a trip to the PNW (that's the Pacific Northwest for you Atlantic Southeast'ers)

17. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

thanks!

18. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

We LOVED the CI-CO!

19. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Kathy and Bob, thanks for the pictures they made me smile and laugh and enjoy the good time we had all over again.

20. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Novice

"And so was Council Grounds SP in WI (thanks Mr. Ed for the tip about following SR107 along the Wisconsin River.)"

Thank you for the tour of the camp inn!!
    Great Pics - Glad you had safe travels.
    I think you just happened to drive through 107 just at the peak of colors too!!
    :)