Just starting out

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by marilynmcfarlane, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Our baby is still in the "nest", soon to hatch. I'm itching to equip my kitchen. I heard there is a "how to" fill the refrigerator by Jenn. Can someone steer me to that post without scrolling through all 180 of Jenn's posts?

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Dick and Marilyn, I was just trying to see how much would fit and posted these pics. Since then I have found that I like the containers that have the snap down lids as I feel more secure with them and they keep the food longer. We try to pack frozen stuff on the bottom and then veg & fruit on top. Butter and cream cheese and cheese on sm. shelf. However the last time out we forgot to plug it in - not a good move.

4. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

We have discovered "Lock n Lock" storage containers and love them because they fit perfectly in the cooler and even if they wind up floating around in melted ice, water doesn't seep inside. We've found them at outlet malls and our local Korean grocery store. The favorite is the egg container which actually does keep the eggs from breaking (usually)

5. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

We use the "lock & lock" containers too. I usually can find them at TJ Maxx or Marshall's for a decent price. We have several different sizes, and use them in our Yeti. Even when they are submerged in the icy water, they keep the water out. Another thumbs up!!

6. 1Door

1Door Novice

I prefer using ZIP LOCK freezer bags for our foodstuffs. We just returned today (an hour and a half ago and I couldn't wait to "check the forum") from Manatee Springs State Park in Chiefland, Forida and AS USUAL we dumped out 1/2 of the 1 bag of ice we used in our YETI cooler!! The 65 quart YETI holds everything we need for a 3 day 2 nite trip. We keep the cooler in the truck bed. Everything stays super cold and living here in Florida with the heat and humidity it is by far the best way to keep food cold: 16 beers, 1.8 qt Simply OJ, 1 can whip cream, cheese slices, 1 carton Eggbeaters, 3 hamburger patties, 3 sausage patties, 6 slices bacon, 1 bottle of wine, 3 Reeses Cups, 2 apples, 4 stalks of celery, 1 pouch Boars Head pepperoni, 2 hard boiled eggs, 3 cups of ho-made BBQ pork, 1 bag of broccoli slaw mixed with Marzetti dressing and craisins, 1 bottle of Asti- Spumanti (great with OJ), 1/4 head of lettuce, 1 beefsteak tomato, 1 cucumber and 40 grapes (for those of us trying to diet!) Fit all that in your Dometic refrigerator and DON'T forget to PLUG IT IN!!! On longer trips we take the 45 quart Yeti too.
    Have fun camping!
    Alan drinks his Arnold Palmer 1/2 and 1/2 tea at room temperature because it won't fit in the cooler!

7. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I usually go with the zip locks too. I can squeeze air out of them and pack it all in nice and tight.

8. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

I too am learning "The ways of the Zip Lock" but mainly for marinades like chicken and beef.
    Just dump them in, pour the marinade, squeeze out the air and seal, but put in the OXOcontainers I just found at Bed, Bath and Beyond... a little bulky, but look secure.

[​IMG]
    they have various sizes and stainless tops the suck out some air.

Susan & Alan (I never know who is writing eh?)
    How do you like the Yeti?.. I've heard they are wonderful (albeit expensive) but they just seems so bulky - thus the good insulation right??? I guess it's a trade off. My Coleman Stainless works great but thinking of longer trips. I keep beer & Wine coolers in a smaller cooler just for that and then use 1 block ice, a few blue ice blocks and a bag of regular ice. Up here, PNW, stays cool over the weekends but not sure how they'll do on longer/warmer trips... so was thinking of the Yeti and like you, just keep it in the truck...
    Thoughts??

9. 1Door

1Door Novice

I write the more "detailed" information because I always like to know details...quality, price, brand, etc. We love the YETI's. We saved about $30 to $40 on each one thru Austin Canoe and Kayak (ack.com). They are worth EVERY dollar invested. We are hot and sunny here in Florida and I guess that is why so many deep sea fisherman take them out on their boats for 3 to 5 day trips. No shade out there and hot wind. The 3 inch wall construction is what makes them keep the ice for so long. Go to the YETI website and check them out. Out where you live in the Pacific northwest, you probably wouldn't hardly need ANY ice in the cool months. Fill the YETI with cold drink and food and only a 1/4 bag of a 10 lb bag of ice and you'd be good for DAYS!!! Ask McNugit too as they like THE YETI's. We have both the 45 and 65 quart sizes. SUSAN

10. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Great Susan,
    thanks for the info...

Oh Gawd, just when I thought I was done with "Getting Stuff..." for "Le Droppe" something else... but had been looking at them for a long, long time now... maybe it's time to do something about it..
    thanks...