Just posted new blog on Canopies

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Jay & Valerie, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

http://cre8tiveapps.blogspot.com/2015/09/casting-shadows-tale-of-two-canpoies.html

2. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Jay
    I really liked you article. Having just returned from 18 nights on the road out west in the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and Custer State Park in South Dakota. I have some comments on the alcove canopy and the CI side tent. We only set them up when were at a site more than one night. They didn't seem worth the effort if we were only stopping for the night while traveling to final destinations.
    The REI alcove is nice for shading the galley and with one side wall set up, did offer protection from th rain and wind with a small place to sit and eat. I do find the alcove does trap heat and can make cooking under it in the summer a sweat producing experience. We did have one night with heavy winds over 30 mph and wound up taking down the tenting in the middle of the night when it started shaking against the trailer. We did have it tied down with guidelines but had not known the winds would pick up so severely. The camp ground host saw our flashlights at 12:30am and came out of his own trailer to see if we needed any help. He also said this severe wind was unusual for the area.

I like the privacy and dressing room that the side tent offer, but the setup is lengthy. You also have to make sure that you don't have to raise the back end of the trailer too high to level it, as the tent will not fit correctly. It did withstand the heavy winds as it was also tied down with guidelines and had the portapot with 5 lb bag of kitty litter in one corner and a 5 gallon container of water in the other.

I was wondering if anyone has looked at the Tab side tent that attaches thru a channel applied to the outside wall of their trailer. Could this be used with a CI? The tent seems larger, would allow privacy, and could also be a place to sit out of the weather.

I did regret not taking our Northern Breeze as it probably would have solved a lot of the weather problems we encountered. We will bring it next time when camping in the fall. We did meet the couple that have raindrop 491 in Yellowstone and they were using a 12x12 Coleman canopy with the side walls up. They have used it for several years and were really happy with it.

3. Jay & Valerie

Interesting. Glad you like the post.

The side tent we made for our trailer works pretty well and sets up quickly. Not sure it would handle the winds as well as the CampInn model but it does set up much easier.

4. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Jay
    I had seen your pop up side tent renovation and thought it was a great idea. Congrats on posting the step by step process.
    Gina

5. Jay & Valerie

You are welcome. I am thinking of doing a 2nd one for the other side. I also still need to work out a rain fly option for it.