Jeep Wrangler JKU tow Vehicle

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by whube, Mar 28, 2014.

1. whube

whube Newbie

Who on here tows with a Jeep, any advice? Really looking hard at a 560 for my retirement road trip
    Thanks

JPJEEP

2. Biggie

Biggie Novice

There are a number of us who tow with jeeps. We have an'05 Rubicon LJ, (LWB), 4.0L 6spd. Works great. Prior to that we had a '99 4.0L 5spd. Both of them had 4.10 axles which is a big help since even the 4.0's are not powerhouses. We actually gained about 1 mpg on the hiway with the '99 towing our 560. We're talking from 13-14 mpg so it's not really a fuel sipper but the equipment works well for our style of camping. It's not really necessary to have the long wheelbase but it's nice anyway. I would recommend electric brakes. It appears as though you have a JK unlimited. I know that the new motor is a BIG step up from the '07-'10? but I've never driven one compared to my 4.0,(which we're happy with). I do think the manual would be better to avoid shifting often, like our '08 Liberty

3. Kelly

Kelly Novice

My TV is an 05 Jeep Liberty (V6 3.7 L). It handles steep grades in the mountains nicely. I haven't noticed a significant difference in fuel economy when towing (if there is a difference, it is minimal).

It is too bad they have discontinued the Liberty as it has been a good TV for the Raindrop.

Advice? I suggest using Rock Tamers in order to prevent damage to the front of your trailer. You might want to also consider the Alcan Cover option. I didn't purchase the Alcan Cover at the time I ordered the trailer and will be getting this as an add-on this year.

4. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

My TV is a 2013 JKU Moab. The new 3.6 L Motors push approx. 285 HP and 300 lb/ft torque, mine also has 4.10 gears. While I have yet to pick up my 560, 3 weeks away, I have towed many a trailer with the Jeep. It tows my boat with no problem, a utility trailer with about 2200lbs of sod, and a 6x12 cargo trailer while moving. While the tow rating is 3500 lbs, don't let that discourage you. The motor/transmission have more than enough power to tow, the low rating is due to the low weight of the vehicle.

5. David Olson

David Olson Novice

We have a 2011 Grand Cherokee 3.6.
    No problems here. I am not a heavy foot driver, starting, stopping or driving and after 17,000 miles of towing our 560 we have an over all mpg average of 19 mpg.
    My only complaint about the Grand Cherokee is the sloped forward back end, makes it hard to get our bikes in and out.