VA State Park James River State Park

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Vince G, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Vince G

Vince G Novice

We just stayed at the James River State Park. There are several trails within the park to hike and horseback ride. We did a short 1 mile each way hike to Tye River Overlook. Very nice view of the James and Tye Rivers with mountain backdrop. Restroom/bathhouse were clean. There is a sink area for dishes and laundry facility. We stated at site 14 across from bathhouse which had nice seclusion as well as site 13. We stayed Monday to Wednesday and it was very quiet. You can rent boats to float the James if you wish. No AT&T service as FYI.

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I have mixed feelings about that. As a hoosier, I love our state parks -- we spend (when I have a camper...temporarily camper less) 1/2 to 2/3 of our weekends at them.

It's better now, but last spring (2020) Indiana state parks were jammed full of people. We couldn't (and probably still can't) get a reservation unless you are out 5 months.

Last spring, when I managed to get a reserveration, but found the park was completely full....Mostly with people from Illinois and Michigan. This particular park, is not uncommon to see Michiganders (its 12 miles from the Michigan border) , but to see it illinois plates is far less common. Please bare in mind, I actually watch this stuff --- I'm fascinated with the question of "What draws you here...from where..."

On this weekend, nearly the entire park was over-run with out of state plates...80% at least. 400+ spots....not a small campground. Most from Illinois. The Illinois government, closed down their parks, flooding ours leaving native hoosiers with no place to go. In this case I have no problem with high rates. When my state taxes pay for the parks, and I can't use it because "your" parks aren't open it's a problem. Out of staters are getting the benefit without paying for it, so putting a few extra dollars in the till doesn't break my heart.

I just did a quick spot-check of a few coming weekends, there were a few sites still open --- maybe this situation is improving. Maybe my ire isn't as necessary.

Jenn likes this.
  3. Vince G

Vince G Novice

We stay mostly in Pa. We havent seen prices go up. I dont think Pa or Va we paid more for out of state. I do know Va and Ny charge a fee to visit the parks for all using it. We havent had a problem this year getting a spot. We dont really book far ahead either.

Jenn likes this.
  4. I've seen them go up some in SC at the state parks. The four on the coast are pretty expensive. I paid $65/night at Hunting Island. In SC, they change as the park fills up with reservations, so if you can plan ahead way out, you can get them for less. I know sometimes that is not possible. I don't think SC charges anything different for out of state campers. They state parks and other campgrounds in SC are definitely busier especially on weekends.

One park near us renting parking spots for day use area and the boat ramp. Devil's Fork is on Lake Jocassee. The water is blue and you have the mountains above you, plus you can have several waterfalls that drop directly into the lake. That is for Day Use area but it is $50/day. They do have some first come, first serve spots but you better be there by 9:00 am or y0u will get turned away. The campground is busy and it is more money than most because its popular. We camp at Keowee-Toxaway State Park nearby, It is cheaper and you don't have the crowds. And Lake Keowee is pretty too.

Jenn likes this.